Helper Applications

I think Madeira was talking about the Helper title they themselves had but accidentally trashed.

Speaking of which, Helper was removed because there were too many applications for Rofle to handle by himself, right? What if it was brought back with any Moderator-and-up rank being able to handle applications? I liked the old system of Helper (from reading old posts).

5 Likes

Helper Applications have been removed because too few people review them. Helpers are elected by the majority consensus of the community, so the process requires participation.

Moderator Applications are easier to handle, because Rofle is the sole auditor.

6 Likes

yes

There were people(someone?) who had the Helper Manager role in the past, although it eventually become another thing for Rofle to shoulder.

The only reason I’d believe someone else would be approached for a role like application reviewing would be if they expressed the interest and capabilities themselves, or if there was a large amount of applications and Rofle was left unable to attend to them completely for w/e reason.

Who can review not being tied to a specific rank+ is probably because it’s more than becoming Moderator, where all you really need is a decent level of maturity and to be capable of using five commands that pretty much don’t change. Admins might be different in a sense, but there’s only one other admin(Avery) that isn’t Rofle.

or if there was a large amount of applications and Rofle was left unable to attend to them for w/e reason.

Funnily enough, as a side note, I don’t think there’s even been a single Moderator Application since yems’.

5 Likes

So the main reason why they were removed was actually because there weren’t enough people contributing to applications, which is why Rofle had to do them as well?

Yeah, I was kind of surprised that there hasn’t been any moderator applications either (at least the ones that are published to the category).

5 Likes

Lego’s is the only one even visible lol, but there are three that I know of

6 Likes

It could be interpreted that way. Usually if the applicant was actually doing what they needed to do, there’d be more than enough people contributing in the forms of +1.

In terms of staff, from what I’ve experienced, it seems to be less contribution and more so a lack of staff. Going back to when I started playing, the highest number of active staff members was four. Presently we have 3/the same. I actually have no idea how active Solar is, and it’s always been like that, so he’s the variable for “the same”.

6 Likes

Yes, here are some example cases:

6 Likes

The server definitely has a history of bureaucratic issues including absenteeism and a lack of staff, however, I don’t think these are the primary contributing reasons to why Helper Applications were removed.

Although the final decision was to be made by an admin (which there is and was a lack thereof) in the reviewing process of an Helper Application, the procedure chiefly hinges upon the assessment of the applicant by multiple active and experienced members of the community. According to procedure, only a single admin needs to make the final decision.

When Helper Applications were removed, there weren’t many active or experienced players on the forum at the time.

5 Likes

I mean, I would say there are now.

Also, I think there should be more “advertising” for the forum, tons and tons of people play on the server but only a few random (not regular) people show up on the forums (that talk).

5 Likes

I was mostly suggesting that the lacking number of staff somewhat correlates with

and

Seeing as some people posted Helper Applications and they’ve not been reviewed I’ve decided to close them all and lock that category for now since no one is able to review them.

as no staff member besides Rofle had power over applications. The only other one suitable would be Avery.

true

4 Likes

I think the forum is fine as it is, however, if it were to be “advertised,” there should be an apparent link to it on the DTP or in the server.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I meant (I was going to say that but somehow forgot as I was writing the post)

4 Likes

This clause is vague, but I infer that it refers to “active and experienced players.”

Sertastic's Helper Application

A single response to application this was made more than a month after it was posted.

TheLorde123321 Helper Application

There is only one response to this application.

Leeyoh's Helper Application

Although this application does have 3 responses from 3 seperate users, none of those responders were “experienced” and only stayed on the forum briefly.

When 1.4 was released, the forum was active and there was a sudden flood of Helper Applications. (The last time something like this happened was in 2017.) Over 10 new Helper Applications were made in the few months before and after 1.4 was released, but only 1 was accepted - Crane’s application.

The frenzy began dying down by mid-summer and the forum was becoming less and less active. Between this period and now, the only application that received significant attention was Galrob’s application.

5 Likes

How many +1s from fairly experienced users made an application good enough to be considered?

Also, maybe Helper Applications should be like the Suggestions category; people could have limited votes and take their votes away from old applications so that Rofle could just sort by votes or something to see what applications people supported the most.

4 Likes

In the meantime, there’s going to be something else going on for those looking to get a staff role on the server that will be easier for me to review.

I’m assuming he’s referring to himself because of this, though it’s undoubtable that the lack of experienced players is definitely a fueling factor, for whichever is correct.

Leeyoh was incredibly ‘inappropriate’ with his chatting in-game. I know those three players, although Snowmoo disappears every other week and Dako has been gone for a while. Hunter is still an actively participating member though.

Sertastic disappeared for a while, and didn’t really help people.

TheLorde123321 didn’t actually seem to help much either for that application or the one prior to it

4 Likes

Actually, “easier for me to review” could quite easily include/refer to the lack of experienced people +1’ing so yeah, I honestly have no idea

4 Likes

Read this:

Perhaps; however, I don’t think there is or will be a need for Helpers anytime soon anyway.

3 Likes

I feel like this entire conversation stemmed from Madeira saying “+1” in their original post.

I would assume that people who would have applied for Helper before would instead submit a Moderator app, but apparently only a few have, and none of those were public.

Wait, do Moderator apps also have the same +1 system?

3 Likes

They’re submitted to a review group for Rofle to assess. The closest you’ll get to a +1 is when he asks other staff if they find said person suitable

4 Likes

That’s true. It seems as if he made the application on a whim.

However, my point is that the applications did not receive nearly enough attention. Their cogency, quality, or validity is besides the point.

He is?

4 Likes