Frustrations?

I’m a little late to all this, but I also haven’t read through everything, I’m doing so now. Sorry if some stuff was already responded to.

Why not make those small updates anyways on top of larger things? For a server that prides itself on community as it advertises through the Terraria servers website, we don’t hear back too much for things regarding the server itself. We could at least know then that steps were being made to help out with things around instead of complete radio silence. Alternatively, some place that staff members can directly report to the community about service problems/outages and when they’re fixed, which I’d suggested previously:

It doesn’t have to be much, just a small log or two noting things that happened on the server side on maybe a biweekly basis; things that were fixed, added in preparation of the few community events that we do have, or in the case of a hypothetical service updates category, a place for any staff member to report confirmed problems or things happening such as modes being disabled. Transparency goes a long way, so having a dedicated place to do stuff like that for a communication link would at least show that stuff is still happening here despite major updates being few and far between. For an example, look at the Bungie Help Twitter account for the Destiny games, releasing links to patchnotes when they’re available, noting when things are disabled, and giving alerts to upcoming and ongoing maintenance.

*they

I feel similarly for this note. I understand and appreciate the idea of having very set - in rules to follow, to have good guidelines to help keep the community civil, but at the same time they’re more suited to a broader community, one that’s only partially met with Dark Gaming’s playerbase. I think we discussed it once… somewhere in the staff chat on the Discord server before, what is/isn’t considered part of the wider or active community? Just because someone’s very active on Survival (which is where it seems like a lot of active players are now) isn’t a guarantee that they have a more full understanding of different extensions of the entire community, where stuff like the Discord server acts as one of those extensions and keeps us generally linked together by mutual interests even after we’ve become less active on the main Terraria server. Again, for a server with a focus on community, it feels kind of odd to overlook that side of it that’s carries the same name and ideas, multiple people who’ve been around and have experience but are away either for taking a break or some number of other reasons.

Please don’t call me specifically. I appreciate the idea and I’m grateful to be part of this community, but I took on the role originally to help further when it comes to the rules of the server. I’ve been asked by popstarfreas if there’s anything I feel like I’m missing to help out further, but my skills as far as what I could do for the server beyond rule enforcement and being a knowledge sponge have been stagnant ever since my moderator application. I’m not in a place to do more right now nor do I have the time to learn how to do more.

Maybe it’s not the reluctance to understand, but the lack of clarity and where to deliver complaints for most players. The Discord server seems to be meant as an extension for the community and not much more, a place to congregate and do things other than just Dark Gaming related activities. From what I’ve seen there’s more people that have complained or suggested things on the Discord server exclusively because it’s a much larger platform than a specific, new account on a different website for this one small community. If talk for rules and other suggestions should be presented here instead of the Discord, I think it should be noted more directly on the Terraria server for maybe some of the players’ ideas that you’re looking for for feedback. Maybe it could be a text command on a cooldown like how PvP has !pvpinfo or whatever the string is that can tell people “hey, if there’s something you want to see changed or considered, go send it off specifically here” instead of hoping people get the memo and go suggest on the forums first.

6 Likes