Frustrations?

They may mean also updates on how the progress is going, not only the final result. Is Development Timetable up to date?

5 Likes

hm yeah thats fair. but if we cant use the intentions of the person getting banned, we could use the reaction of the community. it seems that every time someone gets banned unfairly (outside of autoban), the community (something you cant fake) never sees their offense as harmful. (i could be wrong)

6 Likes

Well, I suppose ā€œno updatesā€ is not the right way to put it at all, since there are stuff like survival updates and hotfixes still being pushed out, and you and tex are no doubt still regularly churning out code for this server; but what we likely mean is that there is no concrete update, like a content update that shakes up the server a little.
Youā€™ve skipped the seasonal events this/last year (i cant really remember well rn) and a dwindling player count just makes the serverā€¦ bland without anyone else. We also really shouldnā€™t expect a pace of content updates or even just hotfixes comparable to any other game service, since itā€™s best if you put literally anything else as a priority in your life.
Still, the fact of the matter is that we percieve the server as being frozen in a stasis, with little being changed over long spans of time DESPITE all the work you put in just for basic maintenance. Over the past year Iā€™ve seen some random PvPer visit the server and remark on how little anything has changed since theyā€™ve last been here. Itā€™s either a fun and active community or regular content updates that can stimulate us, and I donā€™t think we can expect either of those in a reasonable time frame.

Also idk survival, things might be different there :shrug:

6 Likes

Iā€™m not so sure that everyone is talking about the same things.

There are a bunch of people that seem active to me. Iā€™m not sure whether you mean the server isnā€™t fun for you or you somehow mean the people are not fun. I cannot say much for the people that are active, but random people I meet in zombies can be fun.

Well, it is slow. This simply shows the difference it makes when I am here and when I am not. I used to have more time and was more involved playing with particular members, now that I cannot afford to spend that time anymore, you can see that the server is reduced to a maintenance state. I expect it will only change if someone is able to take over what I once did. Someone who has many hours per week that they can spare to literally do nothing but develop, but that also means that person would not be playing on the server with that time either.

On PvP I donā€™t know what anyone could expect there. Thereā€™s really nothing that needs to be done by me there. All balancing and maps are handled by the PvP Managers.

6 Likes

Well, the update part was before the end of April, where there was only like a small handful of updates in the past few months. Granted, most people here are in school and/or working, but for the most part, server updates declined shortly thereafter patching some bugs from 1.4.4 and the end of last month. It looks like now since we are approaching summertime in the Northern Hemisphere, there is going to be a more active staff presence than before.

5 Likes

Iā€™m a little late to all this, but I also havenā€™t read through everything, Iā€™m doing so now. Sorry if some stuff was already responded to.

Why not make those small updates anyways on top of larger things? For a server that prides itself on community as it advertises through the Terraria servers website, we donā€™t hear back too much for things regarding the server itself. We could at least know then that steps were being made to help out with things around instead of complete radio silence. Alternatively, some place that staff members can directly report to the community about service problems/outages and when theyā€™re fixed, which Iā€™d suggested previously:

It doesnā€™t have to be much, just a small log or two noting things that happened on the server side on maybe a biweekly basis; things that were fixed, added in preparation of the few community events that we do have, or in the case of a hypothetical service updates category, a place for any staff member to report confirmed problems or things happening such as modes being disabled. Transparency goes a long way, so having a dedicated place to do stuff like that for a communication link would at least show that stuff is still happening here despite major updates being few and far between. For an example, look at the Bungie Help Twitter account for the Destiny games, releasing links to patchnotes when theyā€™re available, noting when things are disabled, and giving alerts to upcoming and ongoing maintenance.

*they

I feel similarly for this note. I understand and appreciate the idea of having very set - in rules to follow, to have good guidelines to help keep the community civil, but at the same time theyā€™re more suited to a broader community, one thatā€™s only partially met with Dark Gamingā€™s playerbase. I think we discussed it onceā€¦ somewhere in the staff chat on the Discord server before, what is/isnā€™t considered part of the wider or active community? Just because someoneā€™s very active on Survival (which is where it seems like a lot of active players are now) isnā€™t a guarantee that they have a more full understanding of different extensions of the entire community, where stuff like the Discord server acts as one of those extensions and keeps us generally linked together by mutual interests even after weā€™ve become less active on the main Terraria server. Again, for a server with a focus on community, it feels kind of odd to overlook that side of it thatā€™s carries the same name and ideas, multiple people whoā€™ve been around and have experience but are away either for taking a break or some number of other reasons.

Please donā€™t call me specifically. I appreciate the idea and Iā€™m grateful to be part of this community, but I took on the role originally to help further when it comes to the rules of the server. Iā€™ve been asked by popstarfreas if thereā€™s anything I feel like Iā€™m missing to help out further, but my skills as far as what I could do for the server beyond rule enforcement and being a knowledge sponge have been stagnant ever since my moderator application. Iā€™m not in a place to do more right now nor do I have the time to learn how to do more.

Maybe itā€™s not the reluctance to understand, but the lack of clarity and where to deliver complaints for most players. The Discord server seems to be meant as an extension for the community and not much more, a place to congregate and do things other than just Dark Gaming related activities. From what Iā€™ve seen thereā€™s more people that have complained or suggested things on the Discord server exclusively because itā€™s a much larger platform than a specific, new account on a different website for this one small community. If talk for rules and other suggestions should be presented here instead of the Discord, I think it should be noted more directly on the Terraria server for maybe some of the playersā€™ ideas that youā€™re looking for for feedback. Maybe it could be a text command on a cooldown like how PvP has !pvpinfo or whatever the string is that can tell people ā€œhey, if thereā€™s something you want to see changed or considered, go send it off specifically hereā€ instead of hoping people get the memo and go suggest on the forums first.

6 Likes

Not sure what youā€™re referring to here, examples?

Thatā€™s essentially the News category and Announcements on Discord, and has been used for those things before

Someone is free to do that, unlikely to be me, I do things in the gaps that I can get a hold of, and most often do not remember what I did exactly. Only when I manage to get enough time to work on something bigger do I then post about it, like important fixes to TrueSSC recently.

Yes, but Iā€™m sure someone is paid to spend their time doing that.

For the most part, thereā€™s not much focus on suggestions as it is, because 99% of them wonā€™t be implemented due to time constraints. The back log needs to be caught up on first.

On the Discord server each suggestion channel specifically and exclusively links to the forum as how you post them. People would need to specifically ignore that and post in the wrong channel to do that, and Iā€™m sure some people do that on purpose as to not follow up on it, a place to vent essentially.

5 Likes

Well, the few bugs you mentioned every week or so.

Were those few bugs the maintenance things you mentioned or am I mistaken? If Iā€™m wrong on that, then sorry, but if those bugs are unrelated other things, I think itā€™d be nice to hear about them in between major updates. As I said before, just semiregular updates about anything at all happening related to the development of the server, so that players can know things arenā€™t dead quiet, even if some of the things are normally unnoticeable.

Not everything is officially reported such as if/when things break on the server, when/why certain things are disabled, stuff like that. Obviously, not everything will be covered, but I think the major things that wonā€™t have an immediate fix should be covered and given note of, since they can disrupt player activity.

Ah, gotcha. Well, if you do ever remember, I circle back to my point of ā€œI think hearing about the small things for the server would be neat to have aroundā€.

I meanā€¦ thereā€™s already volunteer work being put forth here, right? I frankly never went about managing talk for a lot of error report issues through stuff like the announcement channels since I wasnā€™t sure if itā€™d be allowed, so can staff members at the Moderator level do that? Just report on problems with the server somewhere separate and clear for everyone to see, instead of potentially losing them to normal conversation only for an unnoted update to fix it at a later date? Going back to my Service Updates suggestion, the bug report mentioned shows that Rapid lobbies were disabled without any warning, and it was only then after said bug report that it was explained that they were disabled because of some gamebreaking bug. If staff members are told about specific things going down, one of them could report on it if they were allowed to (which Iā€™m not currently sure if we are allowed to) so that everyone knows and that there isnā€™t any confusion for the future, and once itā€™s fixed report again. It would help further with keeping communication open regarding activities, which for an economy based server is at least somewhat important.

4 Likes