Random PVP!

After playing a bit more of PVP the last few days, I felt that it was starting to get a little boring with the same strategies over and over, etc Flying Dragon, Terrablade spam, Toxic Flask, Paladin’s Hammer, etc. While this isn’t necessarily bad, it it would be nice to have a bit of varity and a break from incredibly powerful weapons.

My idea was to have a gamemode featuring items ranging from late Pre-Hardmode to mid-Hardmode. As an example, perhaps Muramasa as a minimum, and a Christmas Tree Sword as a maximum.

The gimmick of this gamemode is that all the PVP Manager damages are random (with caps on both minimum and maximum, of course), and this would change on a set basis (daily, weekly, or some other amount). Perhaps one reset, a Palladium Pike would be 55 damage, as opposed to the normal 32, and the next one only 17.

Elaborating on the above: Minimum and maximum would probably be something like 15% and 180% of the original damage. If possible, these would be set automatically, instead of manually (If that’s impossible, maybe just have a greater time period between resets). The reason for having only a certain range of gear capped at mid-Hardmode is because some of the endgame weapons are so powerful they would be relatively unaffected by the randomizer. Additionally, if you would have to set it manually, there could only be 20-30 individual items. All characters would be server-side (no gear) with max health, mana, and buffs, like in normal PVP.

For Accessories and Armor, I was thinking any accessory/armor within the late Pre-Hardmode to mid-Hardmode stage could be allowed (Example: Shadow Armor min, Hallowed armor max). These, along with the weapons, could be accessed in a seperate Items dimension specific to the gamemode.

The general idea of this gamemode is to make a sort of “meta” that would change rapidly, as the weapons are randomized. It would be fun to create a lot of new and unique strategies as time goes by.

Looking back on this, it’s literally a wall of text, so sorry if it’s a bit hard to read/understand.
TL;DR: PVP with random damage for weapons, which would change frequently and create various new strategies as time goes on.

bruh…
rly…

if you want pvp to not be boring then use different weapons

But I like the basis. It forces you to quickly adapt in order to get rewarded. The only problem is when flying dragon has maximum damage.

5 Likes

I do, but even when I do most of my options are limited (can’t use a Muramasa when everyone’s using endgame gear). Didn’t realize I said “etc” twice lol.

4 Likes

lol no, Dark Gaming's PvP META

4 Likes

Randomness ≠ Strategy

It’ll be hard to balance this randomness.

side note: there is already a pvp gamemode called duel

5 Likes

You’re right about the maximum damage, I guess, but Flying Dragon and other OP weapons that can go through walls mostly wouldn’t be one of the options, at least from what I thought.

Wait, is Muramasa actually powerful? I just used it as an example, I never actually played with it.

4 Likes

This is true. Due to the fact that weapons like S.D.M.G. exist, you’d have to ban them entirely. And there are a LOT of potential broken weapons

5 Likes

Yes… thats why its capped at Mid-Hardmode

3 Likes

Not sure… I’m not aware of people who have tried it. I wonder how much damage it does…

5 Likes

19, so no change as far as I know

In contrast, Ale Tosser is 124

4 Likes

Meteor staff could end up doing a lot of damage. So could Ichor and Aqua.

5 Likes

Good point, maybe some individual weapons should still be banned. Ones I can think of from the given range are… I guess Death Sickle, Meteor Staff, Pulse Bow, possibly the Dart weapons? Probably Life Drain and Daedalus Stormbow too

4 Likes

Summoner might end up pretty powerful in some resets, which would be a nice change. I guess that’s true for all classes.

4 Likes

Aaaaactually, due to fast melee speed & mobility loadouts, summoner’s whips might just hold the most power of them all.

5 Likes

With server-side characters, it might be a bit difficult to get accessories. Actually, now that I think about it, how would you get weapons, either? Maybe a pocket item dimension or something specific to the gamemode, similar to how Zombies has individual lobbies and dimensions.

With a seperate item dimension, I could remove the part about set armor and only basic accessories. I don’t know why I thought of that in the first place lol.

4 Likes

really from what i saw you we’re just spamming random weapons in pvp rather than trying to play pvp properly lol, most good pvpers use their entire hotbar for just weapons and maybe have even more in their inventory. also, the strategys you said are mainly used by noobs except paladin’s hammer, but you know elf melter, aqua scepter and others exist

5 Likes

Yes, I am not a good pvper, for sure. My K/D is definitely less than 1/2 lol.
Definite strategies do exist, but nearly all of them involve endgame gear, also they don’t change much over time.
The main reason I suggested this was to make a spinoff on the PVP game, not saying it was bad, although I see why you could have thought that from my post. I had fun playing PVP the last few days, but I thought this would be cool too.

most good pvpers use their entire hotbar for just weapons

cries in mobile where having to change weapons stops attacking and is also kind of glitched
lol

4 Likes

“endgame gear” literally endgame weapons are basically shit here because they are op, would say only terrarian is good? but it’s slow

but hey, there’s a lot of strategies other than the common strategies with phammer, heat ray, sniper and etc.

5 Likes

Also, you can probably have a similar and more casual experience of this by going random in peds class wars.

5 Likes

Not sure if you were asking me specifically about this, but I can’t join ped’s server, dark gaming is the only public one I know of with mobile capacity.

4 Likes