Random PVP!

My intent was to have enough stuff(weapons/equipment) that if one was powerful, others would be too, so it’s not just having everyone play whatever’s the best for the day.

4 Likes

If this isn’t a good suggestion, that’s okay, I didn’t expect it to pass

(yems how do you like every single one of my posts within seconds)

4 Likes

Could you recommend anything for me? The loadout I use right now is a modified version of your “beetleeyepvp” one, which I replaced some of the melee/general accessories with ranger ones. Based on suggestions from various people, I use Marrow, Pulse Bow, and Eventide with Orichalcum armor, but I’m not sure if that’s the most optimal or even good.

4 Likes

Just try out as many different weapons as possible until you find ones that you like.

There are “good” weapons and “bad” weapons, but it really just depends on your set-up and how good you are at using that weapon.

Also, Orichalcum armor is basically only used for min-maxing. Use Solar Flare or Beetle instead.

There are some weapons that most people use in general:

• Sniper Rifle
  • Paladin’s Hammer
  • Betsy’s Wrath

However, most other weapons just come down to personal preference:

• Ice Sickle
  • Stellar Tune
  • Tsunami
  • Revolver
  • True Night’s Edge
  • Starlight
  • Bubble Gun
  • Etc

Also, multiple weapons can occupy the same niche.

Close range:

• Paladin’s Hammer
  • Flamethrower
  • Elf Melter

Long Range:

• Revolver
  • Sniper
  • Red Ryder

Arcing:

• Betsy’s Wrath
  • Golden Shower
  • Razorpine
  • Aeriel’s Bane

Etc. . .

Most people just choose one weapon per niche; however, some weapons of the same niche are useful in their own different ways, so some people may use both of them.

2 Likes

what is “twinking”

4 Likes

Pardon me, I think “twinking” is the wrong term.

When you “twink,” you essentially use high-levels gear despite having lower-level character. In Terraria terms, it’d be something like using the Zenith for PvP in a Pre-Hardmode world with recently created characters.

I think it’s more appropriate to say Orichalcum is solely used for min-maxing, and that is it is used to increase damage at the cost of defense. Because of this, I recommend that you do not use it.

You can twink to min-max, but min-maxing is not twinking.

4 Likes

Alright, I think I get it. I mainly only used orichalcum because most ranger armors are banned.

4 Likes

Solar Flare and Beetle can be (and should be) used for any set-up.

Anything besides those two armor sets have too little defense and provide damage boosts that can alternatively be gained via accessories.

3 Likes

Darn, I was hoping that at least more than a few armors would be viable

I’m assuming Red Riding armor was banned because of the randomness of the effect?

4 Likes

This is actually a common complaint amongst most PvPers actually.

3 Likes

If I recall correctly, some players were annoyed by the supposed excess of hybrid rangers (those who used mixed armors for the ranger class). In response to this, the Red Riding Dress was banned to decrease the viability of hybrid rangers.

More specifically, the primary impetus for this nerf was the fact many PvPers were (and still are) annoyed by the use of Chlorophyte Arrows.

Personally, I do not really understand why the Red Riding Dress was banned, because using a few ranger accessories, players can just as easily reach the damage-max with many ranger weapons.

3 Likes

It makes sense to me that the vortex and shroomite armor were banned (because y’know, being unable to see your opponent is a bit unfair) but I feel like it kind of hoses the ranger class in general, since they have no endgame armor. With red riding also gone, they have no armor that would be obtained post-plantera (I believe). Meanwhile, melee has Solar Flare, Beetle, Valhalla Knight, Shinobi Infiltrator, and mage and summoner have similar ranges of options. If the solution to this is “just use melee”, that reminds me of a old similar video from The Commander’s Quarters (a Magic: The Gathering channel) saying “just play green, Jeffery!” Out of context, that probably makes no sense, but it was a similar situation.

4 Likes

Well, here’s the thing: hybrid armor sets are scarcely used.

• Summoner is essentially unviable
  • Most melee users just use Solar Flare or Beetle since they already provides melee damage boosts and are viable in the meta. (Also, pure melee is quite unviable.)
  • Mage is difficult to use, and this is exacerbated when players suffer the deficit of having the low defense of a hybrid armor set.

Out of all of these classes, pure ranger is the easiest and most viable to use, and because of this, most people use hybrid armor sets for the ranger class. However, despite this, hybrid rangers are rarely seen in the PvP arena - like any other hybrid set-up.

FYI, hybrid armor sets are solely used to min-max for a certain damage stat for a specific class.

The main reason why hybrid armor sets are so rarely used is because they offer higher damage at a heavy price: low defense and low damage reduction.

Defense and damage reduction is vital in PvP.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think I was min-maxing bows, but I didn’t have hybrid armor. I’m not sure of what exactly you’re saying, but it sounds like I should use beetle…which isn’t really ranged… or solar flare armor instead of my orichalcum?

4 Likes

I made this suggestion to try to include more variety, but nobody voted for it, i guess it’s not that popular

4 Likes

Yes, that is what I am recommending.

I don’t think I put enough emphasis on how little defense and damage reduction every other armor besides Solar Flare and Beetle has. This is a huge deficiency, because the primary and most important function of armor is to mitigate damage.
The only benefit of virtually any armor set besides Solar Flare or Beetle is increased damage, hence why anyone who uses armor other than Solar Flare or Beetle is min-maxing.

Solar Flare Armor has high defense, good regen, and other miscellaneous stats, making it very versatile.

Beetle Armor has high defense coupled with extremely high damage reduction because of its set-bonus.

I edited the previous post, and hopefully it makes much more sense.

4 Likes

I think this proverb aptly encapsulates the reason why your suggestion is not very popular:

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

4 Likes

Me with chain gun as main: k …

5 Likes

Pretty sure this suggestion is never going to be accepted. There’s nothing really wrong with PvP at the moment, so there’s no real reason to go through a ton of effort to code a whole new gamemode that probably wouldn’t be extremely fun anyway.

4 Likes

As a whole, this suggestion is just a little bit misleaded in terms of why it was created and similar - It is entirely down to the playerbase what weapons are used, we cant do anything about it other than buffing or nerfing certain sets of gear. New players gravitate towards what weapons they see others use until they’re comfortable experimenting on their own. Simply put, use other weapons if you want more variety.

Something that was created for other servers I’d like to suggest to Rofle in the future is a randomloadout command specific to PvP.
On old servers like Jupiter which no longer exists, randomloadout would select armor and accessories from a preset list of loadouts, and would COMPLETELY randomize your hotbar obviously given a few preset lists of items that are all functional.
This is how Jupiter encouraged experimentation and having fun with it, but I’m not sure how well it’d work for DG. Regardless, know that this little feature is something I’d like to request in the future, albeit not before duel is finished.
You can close this thread at your own leisure if you think this would be sufficient enough to replace your gamemode suggestion, but leaving it open otherwise is fine.

6 Likes