I'm Debating If I Should Apply For Moderator

As the title states, I’m considering applying for moderator, but I’m not sure if it’s the best idea, and if it is, if it will even be accepted.

• I’m not very competent with the specific coding language that server plugins use, so I’m a bit scared I’ll be the odd one out.

• I’m not sure what deserves a demotion here… I’m more than a bit scared that if I do something wrong, I’ll be demoted for something random like madeira.

• I don’t have a functioning discord until May 25th. I’m pretty sure that’s one of the requirements.

• Similar to the last one, I’m only 12 years old. I’d call myself decently mature, but the age alone might be enough to disqualify me.

• Lastly, I have literally no idea what people do here as moderators. While I was a moderator on a different server (actually, I managed to work my way up to Senior Admin before nearly everybody on the server mysteriously disappeared and went inactive), I’m not sure if the same commands, rules, etc still work here. I’m also more than a bit scared that I’ll do something that was completely acceptable there, then get demoted or banned or something because it’s breaking Rule #1019221992 Clause 666 or something really obscure like that here.

Overall, I’m a bit conflicted. I love being a moderator in general, and I think I can handle the responsibility, but I’m not sure I’m completely up to requirements.

8 Likes

Well to be honest I would think you need to be old enough to use discord to be successful in a moderator application, since a lot of staff-discussion/reports/help-&-support takes place there. Do not let others influence your decision though, if you feel you want to give it a try then just apply. The worst that could happen is it is denied, or put on hold for you to develop more as a person/mature. I will not be taking part in this survey as I think it could be potentially discouraging/divisive, and would like you to make that decision for yourself.

9 Likes

I’ll be applying for moderator on May 25th. tysm!

6 Likes

You don’t have to code to be a moderator

8 Likes

oh

man im dumdum sometimes, thanks for the clarification

6 Likes

Personally, I feel like you would fit into the role of Helper much better than the role of Moderator, but that’s probably just me.

Edit: I felt a bit bad about this, now that I’ve said it, but I honestly think that you being helper would be better than being moderator right away, for a few reasons:

1. You get experience helping people like moderators do.
  2. You would get more experience working with the staff team.
  3. You would get experience working under the rules that staff has to follow.
  4. You know a lot about the server and it’s rules.

With these points and your concerns about applying in mind, I feel like it would probably be better for you to apply as a helper before becoming a mod.

On the other hand, I’ve never been a mod on a real server, and I’ve even had applications denied several times, so take what I’m saying with a grain of salt.

6 Likes

It’s pretty badly documented, but Helper is not currently an actual role on the server right now.

5 Likes

Huh. I didn’t know that. I am now conflicted.

6 Likes

helper ded fsr

and I do get your point. If helper still existed, I would be a better fit for that instead.

6 Likes

I’d be able to be a moderator imo, but I’m more of a consumer rather than a producer. But hey, you never know!

7 Likes

Things irrelevant for mod:

Code skills
PVP skills
Outside of DG activity except for general ToS of systems

6 Likes

maybe helpers are like clams - dead, but they are still a thing (like how madofado made a clan after much time)

7 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by this, but Helpers do not exist anymore. The category is locked and you cannot apply for Helper nor will you recieve a position.

7 Likes

oops, i didnt check that lol

7 Likes

With or without the official position of helper, you can still go out of your way to achieve most of these, with the exception being #2.

Helpers weren’t much of a staff role to begin with. It’s in the name. Help around the server, whatever that may mean, and you’re a helper. Sending an application/gaining a title just made you an official helper; a terraria server custodian, just without the pay.

The only thing I’d really suggest is to just be tolerable as a person. Make your reports, interact with the community(in a way that doesn’t get you labeled as someone annoying cough cough), and however you can, learn about how the server works; specifically things that will be demanded by common members(i.e zombie abilities, registration, and obviously, the rules). Most TShock commands and their info happen to be public if you want to take the extra step and familiarize yourself at least a tiny bit with what you may end up working with.

• I’m not sure what deserves a demotion here… I’m more than a bit scared that if I do something wrong, I’ll be demoted for something random like madeira.

when you’re old enough for discord, avoid anything that revolves around chaining message. specifically the letter p. trust me on this one.

8 Likes

was that very unsuspicious series of coughs intended to ridicule me or yourself?

oh. letter p got madeira demoted ;–; kinda depressing ngl

6 Likes

It was for you and Helfire. a bit of an unnecessary front in regards to Helfire, but I’ve gradually become more and more inclined to spit on him on every chance I get.

8 Likes

ah the ‘Nate Twitter/First Finch War’ still is known?

5 Likes

never heard of it.

8 Likes

you have never seen it? me and helfires arguement where I was a dick and he acted like I was stupid?

just read the whole thing, its priceless

remeber, this is during my summoner phase lel

5 Likes