Finch Staff Buff

[What is the actual item/mechanic/thing being targeted?]
Finch Staff

[What would you like specifically changed about it?]
Buff its base damage by 900% (7–>70).

[Why do you feel that this change is needed?]
Overall, summoners are stuck with a total of two weapons in terms of minions: Tempest Staff (which I might ask to be buffed later) and Raven Staff. With a buff on the Finch Staff, prehardmode summoners have a chance, and allowing summoners to have more powerful options than just whips and sentries. Basically, add some variety in the summoner meta.

[Anything else you would like to note]
I’m kinda expecting this one to be rejected, but I might as well live up to my name. Also note that Finch Staff ignores some iFrames.

Yeah, this post isn’t going to work. Its based on personal bias. Also, did you know that finches in their idle position don’t deal damage? And they don’t target players? Crazy right?

5 Likes

Helfire, your ignorance is appalling. Here’s a piece of my mind.

1:

Dude…of course its based on personal bias…at this point, everybody who’s active in the forums knows summoner is my favorite class, and that I think they are wayyyy underrated. I find that summoner in Dark Gaming PvP is a little underpowered, but all the other classes are really good or decent on their own. Additionally, very few people use the summon class, so I’m trying to do my best to change that. If you played summoner for a day, you would probably want to make it better as well. The problem with summoner is variety in the meta. The only summon weapons that are actually decent in pvp are Dark Harvest, Morning Star, Rainbow Crystal Staff, Staff of the Frost Hydra, and Ballista Staff. That’s barely enough to fill half a hotbar. What I’m saying is that summoners need more options.

2:

I would have you know that I have played this game for 8 years. Eight. I have read every single page on the wiki in alphabetical order once 1.4 came out, and I am informed in just about everything in terrara, yet assumers like you come along and act like people are idiots. I have played this game for long enough to know that homing weapons, summons, and enemy-reactive weapons don’t work in PvP, I have played summoner in 1.4 enough to know that Finch’s don’t deal damage while idle, but they deal contact damage outside their nest, regardless of if there is an enemy nearby. Certain summons, like Terraprisma, Blade Staff, and Slime Staff, will power up, and begin to do damage when they sense an enemy nearby. Certain other summons, like Finch Staff, Tempest Staff, and Raven Staff deal contact damage regardless of if there is an enemy nearby. If they touch a player, they deal damage. Simple.

edit: if this post is flagged because of the terrible sentence structure, I’m going to scream xD

5 Likes

Non-sentry summons working in PvP when LMFAO

5 Likes

Try summoning slimes/mini twins/cells/spheres so that your opponent runs into those minions.

4 Likes

cells deal CCD (constant contact damage)? damn ill have to try that

edit: only Tempest, Raven, Stardust Dragon, Blade Staff and Finch work, but only Tempest Staff is decent

3 Likes

There’s nowhere near enough unique weapons for summoner to be viable even if we wanted it to be, I don’t know if you’re aware but summoner’s whole identity is based around idling and using other weapons for debuffs and similar.
This simply doesn’t work in PVP, thus summoner will never be properly powerful until it becomes a class with a more active identity, which whips help service to a modest degree but not enough.

The reason most of these weapons aren’t good is covered in the clinger staff thread, but as to restate:

While I agree it’s not very strong, the fact that you can hold it in your inventory means there is never a scenario you don’t want to use it. As such I try to not encourage these weapons in any capacity.
If we had a similar mechanic to Johuan’s PvP Modifier where using a weapon by holding it in your inventory didn’t work then I’d be okay with a buff, but that’s not the case.

Meaning, there is 0 investment in having summoner weapons (bar whips) on you, it will function as a wall pierce the range of your screen that if given the ability to deal significant contact damage will become dominant and toxic to the meta.
This is why RCS, Nimbus, and Rainbow Gun all suck, and why the only active summons that do modest damage are Hydra and Ballista, as they’re limited in range of placement thanks to being sentries that obey gravity.
Clinger Staff, Electro Aura thingy, and Tempest all work modestly but will see varied results, and this will NEVER change.
Projectile modification when!?!

4 Likes