I Don't Think You Can Explain This (Terraria Housing Mechanics)

r/Terraria - Housing Requirement Edge Cases

5 Likes

I can explain the 2nd one. A house needs 2 blocks of empty space for the npc to stand on. The platforms block all empty space except for where the crystal ball is.

Therefore, the crystal ball blocks the last avalible space and invalidates the house.

idk about bottles tho.

2 Likes

You’re right about that area being a standing point for the second house, but there are still many questions I’d like to see answered about the second house in particular:

• Why is it a valid standing area to begin with? and what constitutes a proper standing area?
  • Why is it still a valid house if it has no walls at all?
  • Why is it a valid house if there are platforms obstructing the way in the middle of the house?
  • Why does the presence of the crystal ball validate the house?
2 Likes

Platforms can be diagonal to each other with out creating a wall, not a backround wall, but like the edge of the housing, I can’t answer anything else though.

2 Likes

I already made a post which explains the standing point requirements about these houses and the relationship between a valid standing point and furniture tiles.
However, I have yet to explain the usage of platforms and absence of walls. Should I make a third post to explain this?

2 Likes

I believe I only partially understand why the second house is valid despite its lack of background walls. Is it because the gaps in between the diagonal platforms are not large enough to meet the invalidation requirement for a continuous unwalled space? As in, there aren’t enough connected wall-less tiles that the house is invalid. However, if I remember correctly, there is an alternative wall requirement stating a specific number of walls which can be missing in a house, connected or not, before the house is invalidated for the lack of them. And the second house appears go far over that limit. Do the diagonal platforms have something to do with that alternative requirement being ignored? Or is there something else I’m missing here?

2 Likes

Correct

There is no such requirement. Houses can be valid with no walls whatsoever.

2 Likes