Helper Application or Moderator Application?

For the sake of a suggestion in the making, I am making a poll to determine the general preference of those active on the server. When it comes to the two types of applications below, which one would you feel more comfortable making given the requirements/expectations of each, and their role on the server?

• Moderator Application
  • Helper Application

0 voters

For reference on making your decision, you can refer to https://forum.dark-gaming.com/t/about-posting-a-moderator-application/6315 and https://forum.dark-gaming.com/t/format-application-for-helper/2

10 Likes

I would like to do either or, but rn I don’t think I can commit to it, like if I was doing it occasionally (like randomly during the weekdays) it would be fine, but since it requires you to essentially always be online, I can’t commit to anything

6 Likes

No it does not as they understand one has school etc.

7 Likes

My problem with the whole helper thing is that you don’t really need a fancy title to simply help people. If you are only willing to help others with the said title, then it would appear to me that your intentions are more aligned with boosting your ego than making a true difference in the community. Plus, it may have proven difficult to retain active players long enough to justify it being an official “staff” position. If I recall right, one of the past requirements for becoming a moderator was that you had to fulfil a position as a helper for a certain period of time. It may have been easier to streamline the staff approval process (and save our server’s developers time) by removing it entirely. At least that is how I see it.

7 Likes

I had something planned for that in the suggestion I mentioned(basically no longer being a “helper”), but I recently recalled that helper applications were closed due to nobody being able to review them. My suggestion doesn’t exactly address that, so unless Rofle eventually has more time on his hands/someone else picks up the process of reviewing applicants, I figured there’s not much of a reason to continue working on it.

This is true for Moderator too. I’d say the chances are the same for either, considering anyone aiming for either position could decide they’re moving on at any point.

(as a side note, most active players are survival players, and lets be honest… nobody wants the average survival player as a staff member, they’re just an entirely different breed…)

The amount of time varied greatly. Solar took a very long time, I met that in the middle at a few months, while crane moved on in no more than what I believe was two weeks(the same on-paper amount as the current process). Ideally, I was also going to suggest shortening that process greatly, but that’s only possible with the reviewer being active enough to know enough about the applicant, hence the time of review being cut.

7 Likes

I feel like people on the server just help others anyway even without the title
Also is the title something that has to be worn or can one still have their own titles

7 Likes

It’s not something that HAS to be worn, you can wear anything(or nothing at all) whenever you want too. Most people would prefer to have it equipped however because at the end of the day, it is colored like event titles.

7 Likes

I guess this point could also be reversed. The people that already help others without the mentioned title potentially could be empowered to continue with it. It is difficult to not get burnt out when you do something for a long time with seemingly no reward other than self-satisfaction, so this could give those the boost that they need to keep on going. While what I said previously is technically true, it is probably not a realistic expectation I should hold everyone to.

I do suppose that is true too. I wear my title because it helps me stand out with my red chat color, and I take pride in having reached this point.

I guess my overall message has changed. I would not mind seeing helpers be a thing again, in fact I think a few people probably deserve it. I was just under the impression that it was not realistic to think that those above me suddenly have time to handle seemingly low importance applications, and therefore nothing will change about this any time soon. I could be wrong, and would not mind it at all if I was.

7 Likes