Evolution of Zombies Maps

This topic is about map popularity and/or how maps have evolved. You are able to edit it.

Archaic Era

Maps in the Archaic Era defined Zombies. The first maps like Winter’s Scream, Winter’s Howl, Dark Shadows, Knight’s Challenge, Heaven’s Hell, Crystal Caverns, etc. are all Archaic and provide a challenge for you to get through, mostly having rounds like 11 being the natural defeat for your game, mostly because the gamemode was new and the content seen today wasn’t there. The problem with these maps is that they weren’t really satisfying. Yes, they were fun, but they usually didn’t allow you to get very far in the game. Even with complex strategies they wouldn’t allow you to get much progress.

Middle Era

Middle Era maps (Skelotens, Catacombs, all of Haruno’s maps, etc.) fluctuated in difficulty a lot, but the Middle Era itself set the stage for maps to drift towards the Modern Era. Starting with maps that were Archaic but still a bit more interesting and easy, slowly they started to ascend. An example of this is Skelotens → Catacombs. Skelotens required big strategy planning, but as maps transitioned throughout the middle era, Catacombs would usually have you getting to the martians on any normal game, which was rare for other maps.

Modern Era

Shortly after the Late Middle Period, pixelbitie101 submitted Lunar Mineshafts to the Map Submissons. After literally a months-long delay because no one was available to move it, it was finally moved. This marked the beginning of the Modern Era. Being a moderately easy map, it quickly caught on, being really fun and the round usually being until round 11 on no effort, and even till round 22 on a well rounded team. Even more maps would come later, including bewitched and Snowyville. Maps in the Modern Era were easy and interesting, and could even go to extreme levels of easiness, for example Cryptic Castle.

Futuristic Eon

Because the stage 0 proposal for custom mob waves was accepted, custom mob waves will be coming to Zombies. This means that in the future, the most populous and definitive-of-the-gamemode map will no longer be easy maps, they will be interesting maps. The Futuristic Eon will take a while though; most maps will be overshadowed by Cryptic Castle and Mystic Library for probably a year, maybe even two. There is also something called modernization that will affect the future, in which maps outside the current era would then be modernized. For example, Winter’s Scream was an unfinished map. After Rofle added more content to Warrior and Ranger and even added a whole new class, Winter’s Scream is catching up with maps like Cryptic. The difference between modern maps being made and an old map just being modernized is that the old map inherits the basis of its era, but adds some modern elements within it rather than just changing the whole map. In Winter’s Scream case, this is challenging + fun. The problem with modernization is that the map’s reputation before can still damage it from being played, and the map will still be overshadowed by maps that were already modern.

Map Categorization

(Ty Rofle for list)

Archaic

• Monster Mansion
  • Crystal Caverns
  • Winter’s Scream
  • Shadow’s Descent
  • Heaven’s Hell
  • The Ascension
  • Torture Dungeon
  • Hill House
  • Winter’s Howl
  • Death House
  • Miner’s Deceit
  • Beach House
  • Frosty Spire
  • Knight’s Challenge(s)
  • Dark Shadows
  • Knight’s Training
  • Dungeon Dead End
  • Devil’s Reservoir

Middle

• Skelotens
  • Catacombs
  • Fish Temple
  • Cosmic Collapse
  • Jungle’s Echo
  • Shadow Requiem
  • Cyber Complex
  • Forest Fire
  • Green Hill Zone
  • The Hell Palace
  • Inferno Battlefield

Modern

• Lunar Mineshafts
  • Decrepit void
  • bewitched
  • Snowyville
  • Beach House v2
  • Cryptic Castle
  • Glass Castle
  • Mystic Library
  • Christmas Night
7 Likes

2015-2018

2020-2021

3 Likes

I’m not sure I understand how you categorise the maps. The maps as you can play them today are different than how you might categorise the ‘eras’ of maps historically.

The original maps (like Monster Mansion, Winter’s Scream, Crystal Caverns) were based around Rounds 1-7 since back then 7 was the last round (it repeated itself each round after). Crystal Caverns offers some insight into this and retains the basic structure of what existed:

• No upgrades
  • No modified weapons
  • A reliance on the Magic Box
  • No classes

The magic box also only generated a specific set of unmodified weapons.

Since those maps were made you have (I don’t know the order or dates):

• classes
  • hp/mana chests
  • upgradable armor/weapon chests
  • custom weapons

I remember some people back then saying that didn’t like the addition of classes.

So the old maps were a lot smaller and had less progression mainly because the game was a lot simpler.

I think Hill House / Beach House are examples of maps made when HP/Mana upgrades were added along with upgradable chests but before custom weapons.

Classes were added here (I believe):

Edit:
I was wrong about Hill House. I now remember what happened. Someone made that map without those additions and then that was the most liked map, and as such I remade it after the update to add the classes and items.

5 Likes

Ok, I’ll put that in there

Not much. Hill House was made back then and though today it has weapons like S.D.M.G and Diabolist Staff, it still is more difficult and less popular compared to more recent maps.

Me neither

5 Likes

Yes but that’s what I mean:

You mention this in the first era, even though it’s updated.

Are you categorising maps by popularity or by when they were made originally?

4 Likes

When they were made originally

2 Likes

This is the order they were added as far as I can tell from the database:

• Monster Mansion
  • Crystal Caverns
  • Winter’s Scream
  • Shadow’s Descent
  • Heaven’s Hell
  • The Ascension
  • Torture Dungeon
  • Hill House
  • Winter’s Howl
  • Death House
  • Miner’s Deceit
  • Beach House
  • Frosty Spire
  • Knight’s Challenge(s)
  • Dark Shadows
  • Knight’s Training
  • Dungeon Dead End
  • Devil’s Reservoir
  • Skelotens
  • Catacombs
  • Fish Temple
  • Cosmic Collapse
  • Jungle’s Echo
  • Shadow Requiem
  • Cyber Complex
  • Forest Fire
  • Green Hill Zone
  • The Hell Palace
  • Inferno Battlefield
  • Lunar Mineshafts
  • Decrepit
  • bewitched
  • Snowyville
  • Beach House v2
  • Cryptic Castle
  • Glass Castle
  • Mystic Library
  • Christmas Night

I don’t have dates though and I’m not sure if I listed some that weren’t even zombies maps.

4 Likes

2015 - 2018

• Monster Mansion
  • Crystal Caverns
  • Winter’s Scream
  • Shadow’s Descent
  • Heaven’s Hell
  • The Ascension
  • Torture Dungeon
  • Hill House
  • Winter’s Howl
  • Death House
  • Miner’s Deceit
  • Beach House
  • Frosty Spire
  • Knight’s Challenge(s)
  • Dark Shadows
  • Knight’s Training
  • Dungeon Dead End
  • Devil’s Reservoir

• Skelotens
  • Catacombs
  • Fish Temple

May 10 - Submission Guidelines - all subsequent maps have submissions on the forum.

• Cosmic Collapse
  • Jungle’s Echo
  • Shadow Requiem
  • Cyber Complex
  • Forest Fire
  • Green Hill Zone
  • The Hell Palace
  • Inferno Battlefield

• Lunar Mineshafts
  • Decrepit
  • bewitched
  • Snowyville