Terraria Challenge Thread

A thread for the purpose of posting and talking about challenges for vanilla Terraria, from defeating bosses under certain conditions to completing playthroughs with restrictions or acquiring certain items or achievements from a set starting point.

What can you come up with?

6 Likes

this is one that i wil do right now - terraria but Youreth female parent figure
rules - you cant jump
extra rules - no flying mounts (like black spot and truffle mount (the duke fishron one))

6 Likes

haha! the call for my presence has been answered!

heres the list of stuff Iā€™ve done that I highly reccomend:

• MMFTW whips only (extremely fun, it was easy but I really enjoyed it)
  • MMFTW true melee only (really hard in early hardmode, but boy was titanium armor a godsendā€¦)
  • Master Mode No Handheld Weapons (armor, accessories, mounts, and lava/trap are all allowed, I just finished it today so I havent tested it MMFTW yet to see if its possible). Woffle would have been impossible if i hadnt figured out cactus boulders craftable now :evil:
  • MMFTW Prehardmode Lawn Mower Only (you can use armor/accessories bonuses, but no mounts are allowed, and lava/traps are only allowed in limited quantitiesā€¦ havent defined that uet, but I just didnt use them lol)
  • MMFTW Pickaxes Only (insanely fun after 1.4.3 was added, armor/accessory bonuses allowed, but no lava/traps)

Some cool boss challenges I highly reccomend:

• MMFTW EoL with only prehardmode gear
  • MMFTW Duke Fishron with only prehardmode gear
  • MMFTW Moon Lord with only broken copper shortsword (yes, it is possible)
  • MMFTW All Bosses No-hit While Stuck In A Four-Block Wide Vertical Tunnel (itā€™s actually easier than it looks, only golem, and ml are hell)
  • MM All Bosses Without Weapons (see rules above)
  • MMFTW Dreadnautilus Nohit (hard enough without any rules lmao)
6 Likes

Try playing terraria but the whole world is the ā€œNot the bees!ā€ seed with honey (the liquid everywhere that it can possibly be.

7 Likes

I just realized I have never played this seedā€¦
wow meā€¦

5 Likes

Probably my absolute favourite. Iā€™ve tried it a few times (mage setup) but only ever got her down to around 25% health before getting hit and basically instantly dying to the downwards spiral of panic thereafter.

5 Likes

ah yes, flamelash spam does work, but i use summoner cuzā€¦ uh i think you know at this pointā€¦

so trueā€¦ I died so often this way until I improved my arena setup to allow more maneuverability and I expanded up, now all of a sudden this never happens to me. Idk, but my arena covered the entire left ocean and expanded all the way to the dungeon (which was on that side), so I think the size helps me a bit.

Unfortunately, I deleted the character and the world a few days ago when I was cleaning out my filesā€¦ oops.
Not to mention mah lawn mower versus hardmode bosses challenge ;ā€“; I deleted too many things that day.

6 Likes

I think what helps the most is platform spacing. Youā€™re at your absolute most vulnerable when falling down because you have to hit every single platform in your way, so minimising the number of platforms hit in those falls is absolutely vital to your success. This is why I tend to go with ~half a screenā€™s space between platforms in PHM (much more in HM thanks to wings). Minecart tracks are also an option, but on mobile grappling kind of sucks so theyā€™re much harder to utilise properly.

5 Likes

It takes a while, but hammering all your platforms lets you go down through them without losing any velocity, but you can still walk, run, and grapple to them.

Honestly, I think I just worked too hard where minecart rails would have workedā€¦

6 Likes

I remember once making a pretty interesting challenge. Iā€™ve forgotten the exact details, but essentially it was fighting a boss with as few items as possible; not as few stacks, as few items, meaning 10 Wooden Arrows counts as ten items, not one. Life Crystals, Potions (buff, mana and heal), Mana Crystals, Armour, Mounts, buff furniture, Accessories, etc were also counted. More difficult modes gave you a multiplier of some sort (as in they made each item count as less items on harder modes, again, I canā€™t remember the precise numbers).

The rules are as follows: arenas have to simply be Platforms (unless using item slots for buff furniture), no hoiks or endless ammo items are permitted, and gear used must be obtainable by the point you would be fighting that boss in a by-the-book boss progression playthrough (eoc, eow/boc, qb, skeletron, deerclops, wof, qs, mechs, plantera, golem, df, eol, cultist, ml).
Note: Event loot is unlocked as soon as it becomes available to acquire.

Since there are few set-in-stone restrictions, thereā€™s a competitive element too: you could easily implement a ranking system of sorts where those who used less items (or worse / lower-tier items, if multiple people used the same number of items) would be ranked higher.

My favourite bosses to try this with were Fishron and the Twins. It was interesting to see just how few items you would have to use for each boss, and to see other peoplesā€™ solutions as well. Probably the best general tip that can be given is to use Gelatinous Pillion (if fighting a boss where itā€™s available). Summoner and Melee seem to be the most viable classes, followed up by Ranger with a few no-ammo-used weapons such as Toxikarp and Piranha Gun.

The rules were revised a few times because I missed infinite ammo items on my initial post (theyā€™re utterly broken in this challenge) and because my wording didnā€™t quite cover what ā€œnormalā€ boss progression was. I dunno if Iā€™ve missed a few more items or tactics that defeat the point of the challenge, but Iā€™ve been about as thorough as I can here.

5 Likes

interestingā€¦

gonna try this lol, limiting myself to 15 items on MMFTW
does vanity count though?

5 Likes

If it has no gameplay effect, it doesnā€™t count as an item.

6 Likes

well i technically did itā€¦
I just swapped worlds midway through because BoC is rigged and is guaranteed to spawn ON TOP OF YOU EVERY SINGLE PHASE TWO YOU LITERALLY CANNOT GET OUT WITHOUT GRAPPLE BUT UR PANICKING AHHHHH

ok vented, but it wasnā€™t terrible besides BoC. I had a few difficulties with Plantera and not being able to ā€˜stuff buffsā€™ as I like to call it, but then I realized emergency shaft strategy existed and was completely legal.

though i do admit i cheesed deerclops slightly because I fcking hate the handsā€¦ is it legal?

6 Likes

Anybody got the seed number for the NotTheBees/Drunk/FTW custom seed? I really wanna try that out.

6 Likes

https://terraria.wiki.gg/wiki/Secret_world_seeds

7 Likes

i mean like all of them mashed up into one seed, Iā€™ve heard about it.

6 Likes

Iā€™d guess youā€™d need a mod for that, since each world type is triggered by a specific seed.

7 Likes

Luckily Ive already completed but its, Master Mode Hardcore For The Worthy seed. I had spent many, many hours looking at farms and staying protected as much as possible. Even looking up a ton of strategies!

6 Likes

A challenge I just thought of would be tortureā€¦ No hit and beat the Moon Lord at 100 health, 3 movement accessories, wings and a weapon of very early game progression. No buffs, no armor, no protection.
This would be impossible simply because it would take way over 3 hours to take down even one eye, if youre dealing between 1-5 damage

5 Likes

oofā€¦ the closest two things to this are broken copper shortsword versus MMFTW ML, or prehardmode gear MMFTW ML
that would be hellā€¦ sorry, I dont have 13 hours to waste xD

6 Likes