Sky(ness) ban appeal 2

[Q1] Provide the Ban link or if none, the reason
Link: Ban

[Q2] Did you break the rules knowingly?
No, I was too lazy to read through the rules carefully, and I was too ignorant to read through it.

[Q3] Do you think your Ban was fair? If not, please provide a reason.
Yes, sure, because my ignorance had led me to this ban.

[Q4] Why should we unban you?
I want to start apologizing, to every player, that was affected from my dubios action. I promise never to such a thing again!. I realize now, that my action was against the rules and that shouldnt happen never again!. I had by my dubious action not only the hacker his chance taken, but also him a bad image of this server given. I realize my fault, and in desperation, I leave and hide from my actions. i know now very well that such things must never happen again. before, i was too ignorant to read the rules very carefully, and due to my own mistakes, i’m now banned. i can only hope that i can apologize to the people again.

Q5: explanation for evading your ban :

I tried to join because I was too impatient and I had tried to bypass the ban this way from my laptop. I understand that such a thing is forbidden, and also why I was rejected before, because that was very unfair, from my side.

4 Likes

You have been banned before, and should have read through the rules some time during your first appeal (at the very least during stage two when you were asked to read the rules and quote the one you broke). Since you did not, I find it incredibly likely that you were not taking the rules or the appeal process very serious. This is supported by you being banned now a second time.

You were not ignorant of the fact that our server had rules. Choosing to not carefully read them was not a mistake, it was a choice. You could have actually read them at any point, and yet you did not. If you had read them and did not understand something, you could have easily reached out and asked any of staff to explain it better. There really is not an excuse for this.

At some point when you were trying to get the cheating player auto-banned, you had to have asked yourself if what you were doing was wrong or not. No one blindly decides that they want to trick another player into being banned. You had to have made the conscious decision that this was the action that you were going to take on them. It was likely in spite of them cheating, which is understandable, but still not acceptable. It was the wrong choice because:

1. We expect all players to exhibit some level of decency when playing on our server. Generally a good rule of thumb is to treat others equal (or better) than you want to be treated. If you would not want to be tricked into being accidentally (and wrongfully) banned by someone else, you therefore should not do that to others.

and

1. Other players could have followed by your example, thinking this is an acceptable thing to do. From reviewing the chat history tied to this, you seem to have gotten this idea from nuffy. Regardless, if we do not make it very clear that there are consequences to doing things like this, it could very quickly get out of hand. Us staff are already quite busy, as is evident by how minimally DG has been actively staffed in-game lately. This is the reason why this player you had auto-banned was able to cheat for so long without any consequence. My point is, the last thing we staff need is to be constantly removing bans for invalid (and unintentional) ban reasons. As it is, multiple times a week users are auto-banned for saying the current version number, which causes us to have to check the ban manager often and resolve the ban.

I do not believe this was the reason you evaded your ban. You were checking if your ban was lifted before your appeal was accepted? That makes no sense. You wanted to show your brother the server? The perfect time to do that is not when you are banned, this also makes no sense. I believe that the real reason you evaded your ban was purely influenced by your impulsivity. You were too ready to get back on the server and reconnect with everyone, and this clouded your judgement. I could be wrong, but that is how I am reading this whole thing.

Let me explain as best as I can how the ban works, and what you had to have done to bypass it.

A member account ban operates on three things: The users IP address, The users UUID (basically a unique identifier consisting of letters and numbers that differentiates each user), and the member account itself. If you are banned by IP, this means that if you try joining with the IP address that was banned, you will be flagged while entering and prevented. If you are banned by UUID, this means that if you try joining with a UUID matching one of a banned player, you will be flagged while entering and prevented. And lastly, if your member account is tied to a ban, this means that your account is essentially locked until the ban is removed. The act of logging in to a member account tied to a ban will trigger the system to auto-ban the user, and add their ban information to the most recent pre-existing ban link, as is shown here:

The reasons I do not believe your explanation for evading your ban to be truthful is that:

1. You had to have known that in some way you were prevented from accessing the server. You may not have known what an IP is or how an IP ban functions, but you were clearly up to something since your IP for the second ban tied to the ban link is different than the first. Obviously I am not going to show the IPs for the sake of privacy, but just know they are different. Looking at the IP data from each address, this shows me you were able to bypass your IP ban by taking one of your devices to a different location and logging in to a different network. You took your mentioned laptop to a different location and then tried accessing the server again, simply put. You travelling may not have been intentional, but you trying to access the server again had to be.

2. Your UUID was changed. I cannot prove this to be intentional, but you would only need to redownload terraria to get a new UUID. The fact that it is different tells me that you possibly redownloaded terraria, and regardless were actively trying to re-access the server with the knowledge that you were currently banned. If it were not changed, you would not have been able to evade your ban.

You successfully bypassed your IP/UUID ban, but what stopped you was the act of you logging into your member account. The system detected this, and banned you, adding your new IP and UUID to the current ban link. If your member account was not tied to the ban, you may have resumed playing as if nothing was wrong (or until you had to login to the network with the banned IP address, or were caught in-game by someone recognizing you were banned). I am confident that you had to have been trying to access the server knowing fully well that you were banned.

The reason I am letting you appeal in spite of evading your ban (and possibly being untruthful in your explanation for evading your ban) is simply because I do not believe that you intentionally did so. Quite frankly, I think in a lapse of judgement you were desperate to see if you could join again, and happened to stumble upon a way to evade the ban unknowingly. If you had intentionally evaded your ban, and found a way to successfully do so, you would likely not be appealing right now. From what I can tell, you have not evaded your ban since then, which tells me you are now serious about getting unbanned, and regret what you have done. You could have easily abandoned your Sky(ness) account and made a new one with a different IP tied to it, but you have not. From your recent discord talk with me I can definitely tell that you are trying to get unbanned through proper procedure, so I feel it is only right to honor that effort. I still do believe that you are not being honest about your reasoning for why you joined the server when your last appeal was still ongoing, but I will not force the issue anymore. If you want to explain that further, feel free to. The one thing I do want you to keep in mind though, is how you act upon your impulsivity. Please try to control/restrain yourself a little better in the future. Sorry for this absolute abomination of a word wall. Quite a bit of explanation was needed, mostly to elaborate on my take on this whole situation, and partly to justify why I feel you should be allowed to appeal, so there is no confusion among the rest of staff. Please let me know you understand all of this so I can proceed.

5 Likes

like i already told you, that i joined last time with my Laptop, but that does not matter anymore.

4 Likes

I understand that, and completely agree with your points above!

4 Likes

Can you read the rules and quote the rule(s) you broke? Do this in a new reply, don’t edit your appeal. If you do not know how to quote the rules, read the guide How to quote the rules.

If you do not identify the right rule(s) that you broke or you do not know which ones you broke, I can make it clear.

5 Likes

Blockquote

4 Likes

This message got deleted.

4 Likes

I was not aware that you had a second account. What is that account’s name?

5 Likes

i only renamed the player after i joined, and then i logged in, so the account name was also sky(ness) at the time. So i will delete the second rule quote, because i didnt broke that rule.

4 Likes

No, that was just a misunderstanding of mine, because I have only registered one account, but I had registered with another account, so I thought I also had to quote this rule.

4 Likes
  1. Do you understand why what you did broke the rules stated?

2. Do you understand how you can avoid breaking them again?

3. Do you agree that you will not break the same rules in the future?

4. Do you understand that if in the future you break any of the rules that you were banned for already, that you will not be able to appeal again (unless the ban was a mistake or due to extenuating circumstances)?

4 Likes
  1. Yes, i do.

2.Yes, i’ll report the next time.

3.Yes, i do

1. I am fully aware that this should never happen again, and I am fully aware of your points and understand them.
4 Likes

This appeal has been accepted. Your ban has been lifted.

5 Likes

thank you, Big Russ !

4 Likes