Problems With English

Weird stuff with the English language. I’ll start :
The plural of goose is geese but the plural of moose is just moose.

In some dictionaries, “incredible” means amazing, though “credible” means believable.

“I’ma" is the shortest sentence in the English language. “I am” is the sentence with the shortest numbers of characters in the English language.

An I with a fingerprint on the top is technically a poem, and the shortest one yet.

Aibohphobia is the (unofficial) “fear” of palindromes, (look it up) and is ironically a palindrome. Not really weird but I find it funny.

Bow rhymes with cow and row, but cow and row do not rhyme.

Lead rhymes with read. Lead rhymes with read. Lead does not rhyme wih read. Lead does not rhyme with read.

Some words are nouns and verbs. So police police police police police police police police.

“Why” isn’t a complete sentence but it’s still valid.

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffal buffalo buffalo.

You drive on a parkway and park on a driveway.

Stuff being transported in a car is a shipment. Stuff being transported in a ship is a cargo.

“Had” can be used to represent both the present and the past.

“You’dn’t’ve looked at this page,” Can mean three different things.

“You’d’n’t’ve have looked at this page,” makes no sense.

Rough rhymes with cuff but doesn’t rhyme with cough, through, though, or plough. All of which don’t rhyme together.

“Bomb”, “Tomb”, and “Comb” do not rhyme.

There is no point to ordering the Alphabet.

capitalization is completely pointless except if you want to emphasize something.

C has no point in existing.

X can be switched to a Z sometimes.

Letters can become silent.

Queueueueueueueueueueueueueue.

My alarm went off so I had to turn it off.

He, his, and him. She, shis, and shim. Except that that is incorrect.

Except that that that that that that that that that that is incorrect.

Phonetics is phonetically wrong.

6 Likes

Make this a wiki : )

4 Likes

Done. Now everyone can edit

6 Likes

My post about Doritos (don’t ask) went towards this subject.

4 Likes

Yep… Mado started it there

Should probably add that

6 Likes

Actually, the shortest sentence is “Go.”

5 Likes

That doesn’t include a subject.

6 Likes

Ah, an excuse to plug this.

6 Likes

Lol someone should edit all of these in

7 Likes

I like this, it’s like the never ending story post but it has an end and is more factual.

4 Likes

I learned that from somewhere else, but I don’t remember exactly (maybe dictionary.com)? I think the subject is who the person is talking to, at least that would make the most sense

5 Likes

If English is so bad, just learn Esperanto or some other constructed language.

4 Likes

English is the easiest language to use.

5 Likes

That’s very debatable.

5 Likes

Also, what do you mean by this?

A language can be easy to learn or easy to understand, but what does it mean for a language to be easy to use?

Are you referring to the complexity of a language?

This could be be referring to certain words having many contextual definitions, difficult pronunciation, convoluted grammar rules, complex written characters, words that are hard to distinguish by listening, written words that are hard to distinguish by observation, etc.

Then again, looking at this list, most of these characteristics can refer to a language that is difficult to understand or difficult to learn but not necessarily a language that is difficult to use.

I guess if a language has difficult pronunciation, it can be difficult to use.

4 Likes

Amazing video 10/10 especially the parking

5 Likes

Oh god… Anything BUT English is easy to understand. It’s just that with this complex set of rules than are basically not even rules anymore allows people to express themselves better

5 Likes

Chinese, Arabic, or Japanese is WAYYYYYYY harder to learn.

4 Likes

That’s only because you grew up learning English.

5 Likes

Chinese, Arabic, and Japanese have even more stupid contextual rules and characters.

3 Likes