MichelleZ's Ban Appeal

[Q1] Provide the Ban link or if none, the reason

Link: Ban

[Q2] Did you break the rules knowingly?

Yes and no. I was warned once back in November last year (30 Nov 2020 to be precise) for impersonating. Back then I don’t know about the rules on impersonating and thought of my actions as a joke/prank.

From this occasion, since I avoided using hardly distinguishable names (replacing o’s with 0(zero)’s for example) and instead choosing more obviously distinguishable names (like in this occasion Glasia / Glassya) names with humorous (at least i think) properties.

I create characters resembling regulars in PVP dimension (which are mostly my friends and people I’m very familiar with) only and the majority of the PVP community here on this server knows of my actions. I am aware of the rules on impersonating but didn’t think of my recent actions as a direct violation of said rule because I never intended to impersonate anyone. I log on with such characters ONLY when the ‘original’ is online to play around with them as a joke and to better understand how these players play PVP by using their loadouts.

[Q3] Do you think your Ban was fair? If not, please provide a reason.

Yes and no. I agree with my ban to a certain degree because I’m self-aware that I was playing with fire, especially after getting warned. It is apparent that my actions negatively affected Glasia, I’m deeply sorry for my ignorance and offense. I deserved this ban.

However, as I have said in the previous section of my appeal, I don’t believe my actions count as a straight violation of server rule #7 on Impersonating. The rule states:

"Attempting to, using the name of or otherwise impersonating another person is forbidden. If you impersonate, you will be banned.

-I created characters resembling other players but never intended to or attempted to impersonate anyone as explained above;

-I didn’t use name identical to other player’s registered account name as I’m aware that will affect them negatively causing them to be unable to join the server whenever I, if with the same name, is online.

Furthermore, I did not receive or perceive any warning or obvious distress from Glasia when I played on Glassya. I meant no harm and was trying to get closer with them with my actions (peculiar ways, I know) because I noticed they are coming to PVP more often recently. I would’ve immediately stopped my actions and apologize if they warned me or stated that they don’t like what I’m doing. I will describe more details that i recalled from this occasion in the next section of my appeal.

Therefore, I don’t believe my ban was completely fair but I am willing to accept any punishments resulted from my violations from server staffs.

[Q4] Why should we unban you?

First of all, I want to apologize to Glasia and whoever was negatively affected by my offense. I am willing to further communicate with & apologize to Glasia in private for their forgiveness and potential friendship. I already reached out to them on discord but they closed friend request and is apparently not online at the moment. I would also like to apologize to Rofle and any server staff member that could be dealing with my appeal for taking up their precious time with the results of my irresponsible actions.

Second, I really enjoyed playing on this server. The community here is positive and friendly; the modified PVP is special and nowhere else to be found; and I made many great friends here. I am a fairly active member of the server’s PVP community and I wish I get the chance to further improve here. (2D block game fight i love <3) If unbanned, I will try my best to make this community more positive and lively with my passion.

Third, I think my ban is a bit unfair for reasons stated above and if I did violate the rule, I would like to ask for a chance to stay within this community.

I will provide what I could recall from the incident to aid decisions.

Few days prior, I was on another character resembling some other player whom I can’t remember who exactly it was (maybe Siimon?) and joking around with that player (they’re online and were interacting with me at the time) in Glasia’s presence. Glasia should’ve been aware of what I was doing and did not say anything about it, maybe even amused by what was going on. I asked Glasia to wait for me and log off to go make a character resembling him. As I usually replicate the entire loadout when I do this and Glasia had a lot of things in his inventory, (perhaps i should make it clear that I use t-inv to achieve this) it took awhile. When I joined back into PVP dimension with Glassya, Glasia has left. Yesterday morning (I live in China and the time difference between me and Glasia should be 8 hours according to Glasia’s report) I saw Glasia online, active in PVP dimension so I jumped onto the Glassya character to interact with him. This is intended as a joke and a small troll (the type of “yeah! i did this for you too!” thing) but did not get any response from Glasia for a while. I said something similar to “im surprised you didn’t say anything and just accepted that im here” in chat. Moments later, Glasia /w-ed me asking me to a duel, I was about to accept but then my game crashed and so I put this aside and went to eat lunch.

The character Glassya was only used twice both in the presence of Glasia themself and never intended to cause any distress or violate any server rules.

For the reasons above, I plead for unbanning. If my actions did indeed directly violated the server’s rules, I will stop these actions immediately and never violate such and any server rules ever again.

If after examining my appeal, it is apparent that my actions did not violate the server’s rules, I hope for the server staff’s understanding that these actions of mine aren’t the result of an evil, immature childish mind but are instead from a IRL somewhat stressed and socially awkward young adult thinking that he found a safe haven for the innocent parts of himself.

Best regards to whoever came across this appeal,

MichelleZ

7 Likes

This is what I said to you before (in-game chat):

You did not listen, and now you are banned. Nothing you said addresses this fact, which is that considering that message, you are now banned despite it being a clear warning.

5 Likes

Hello rofle,
Thank you for taking time to go over my appeal. As for what you mentioned, I for a fact don’t remember when and how this happened. I want to know, is this not the time i got warned back in Nov last year?

" I was warned once back in November last year (30 Nov 2020 to be precise) for impersonating. Back then I don’t know about the rules on impersonating and thought of my actions as a joke/prank."

I would like to apologize to you that despite getting warned, my actions continued. That is an undeniable fact and I can understand why you banned me.
However I want to know what it takes for names to be considered ‘too similar’? I personally perceive this as visually undistinguishable or extremely similar. (say for example the time you warned me last year it was The_Rvnner to The_Runner) Like I mentioned in my appeal above, since getting warned, I moved onto using names that are easily distinguishable. Say for example Bug man for Beetleeye1602 and Starlight man for Filip_p.
I’m of course not saying there’s nothing wrong with what I’m doing, but people mentioned above knows of what I’m doing and all treats it as a joke (The_Runner despite being inactive recently, knows of what I was doing and understood it), which is what I’ve always intended.
In the case that got me banned, I doubt that the name Glassya can be considered ‘too similar’ with Glasia. If without the same vanity and loadout, one could consider it as a totally different player.
So despite my actions continued, from my point of view, I followed what you said and prevented my name from looking too similar with the players. In addition, I have gotten in contact with Glasia via discord, apologized to them, deleted the Glassya character as it offended him, and they kindly forgave my actions.
If creating a character that mildly resembled another player with no intention of impersonating them is not something one’s allowed to do in this server, I will never offend this rule ever again. After all I just enjoyed pvping and the community here.
I plead for an explanation and again hope my ban could be lifted.

6 Likes

The rules don’t allow it for any reason. I do not see anywhere in the rules that it says you can break them if it is a joke.

Not sure how you can say that when you were literally trying to make them as close as possible without making them so similar that they looked the same. It seems to me that you don’t understand where the line is. After I told you not to impersonate and then you decided to push that boundary at all is concerning to me. If you have confusion over where the boundary is, it would be reasonable to expect you not to attempt to put names that resemble another person’s name. Despite that, you did so anyway without even inquiring further about this rule and decided instead to do what you wanted.

If “Glassya” and “Glasia” are not considered too similar to you, then it will not be possible to accept this appeal.

6 Likes

It’s very late where I live and my mind’s going pretty hazy dealing with second language.
Yes, I understand that the rules doesn’t state that I can break any of them even if its a joke and I am again deeply sorry for my offense. Nothing I said above is backing / are supposed to backs up my rule-breaking in any ways whatsoever. I stated that for no reason in particular and it was not meant to back up anything to think of it now, probably just mindlessly put there by sleepy me.
Thank you for explaining to me and I now understand what you meant. You’re right, I can’t say that the two character can’t be considered too similar considering everything I did to make it look almost identical. Glassya can be easily interpreted as Glasia if one know the latter, not to mention the same pronunciation. I am now fully aware of what I have done. I didn’t interpret what you said back then and the rules correctly and even attempted to continue on with what I was warned not to do by bypassing the rule that I misinterpreted. There are many other things I could’ve done and despite given chances, I ended up here is completely due to my own foolishness and wrongdoing. My ban is completely fair and there is nothing I can argue about. I still wish for an unban however as I truly love this community that you have created. I hope I can regain your trust and be given one last chance. If given the chance and I’m found violating any rules, I am willing to accept my ban and won’t appeal for it as it would be downright unacceptable and humiliating.
I am again deeply sorry for the inconvenience my actions caused for you and everyone affected.
Thank you.

5 Likes

Figured out how to use this, here’s the quote of the rule i broke:

5 Likes

Can you read the rules and quote the rule(s) you broke? If you do not know how to quote the rules, read the guide How to quote the rules.

If you do not identify the right rule(s) that you broke or you do not know which ones you broke, I can make it clear.

6 Likes

I quoted the rule above didn’t I? I’ll do it again in case there’s some bug and you can’t see it.

Here’s the rule I broke.

5 Likes

(replying only to keep my appeal up)

6 Likes
  1. Do you understand why what you did broke the rules stated?

2. Do you understand how you can avoid breaking them again?

3. Do you agree that you will not break the same rules in the future?

4. Do you understand that if in the future you break any of the rules that you were banned for already, that you will not be able to appeal again (unless the ban was a mistake or due to extenuating circumstances)?

9 Likes
  1. Do you understand why what you did broke the rules stated?
    yes, fully
  2. Do you understand how you can avoid breaking them again?
    yes, by stopping what i’ve been doing
  3. Do you agree that you will not break the same rules in the future?
    totally
  4. Do you understand that if in the future you break any of the rules that you were banned for already, that you will not be able to appeal again (unless the ban was a mistake or due to extenuating circumstances)?
    i understand.
6 Likes

(to keep my appeal up)

9 Likes

This appeal has been accepted. Your ban has been lifted.

8 Likes