For a bit more fun, make Angler fishing quests different between players?

Personally, it would be cool to see people say in chat “Noo, I got that damned honey quest…” or “Yes! My quest is just the Harpyfish!” or “Noo, I got that damned underground tundra quest…” instead of “Guys tp for fishing spot.” If it’s actually possible to do (and I personally think it is.)

I think it’d make more sense for the angler to assign different quests to different players instead of him getting like 10+ of the exact same fish every day as if he were gonna set up a banquet for the rest of the villagers. It would also actually add more challenge to fishing quests, as it would eliminate the option to just tp to someone else for easy quest completion. For the most part.

This is interesting, but I think it would require some editing of the game’s code, since the Angler is programmed to give the same one to everyone (it would be a bit harder to do than other programs)

Actually, if the Angeler is coded with integers, it might not be that hard

lemme check the code

4 Likes

wait why is the angler not in the code

4 Likes

I’m dumb… the angler was added in a later update, this code is outdated

4 Likes

As Mado said, this would be impossible to code. Unlike some other things that can be changed by the server, I feel like this could only be changed client-side. Angler fishing quests are assigned based on the world you’re in - not the player.

4 Likes

I believe it should be possible through this Multiplayer Packet Structure

5 Likes

Fishing quests are tedious, and I highly doubt anyone enjoys them. Because Survival is multiplayer, players can cooperate to hasten the completion of these quests. Your suggesting the excision of this element of cooperation for the sake of “challenge.”

I don’t think fishing quests are “challenging;” they just force you to find or make a particular fishing spot under a time limit of 24 minutes which isn’t really a test of skill.

5 Likes

For me, the point of the fishing quests is that you need to go to the biome it’s in, look for a fishing spot, and start fishing. Players teleporting to each other for the sake of easy fishing quest completion takes for granted the point of fishing quests in the first place.

And I honestly enjoy them a bit…

4 Likes

I don’t think most players do fishing quests for the sake of fishing in different biomes. They’re incentivized to obtain a quest fish to redeem a reward from the Angler.

To put it cynically, a quest fish is a ticket for the lottery.

5 Likes

I don’t think that really changes much. The point of this suggestion is to make it so that players actually have to put in the effort to do them. Yes, it’s comparable to lottery tickets, but lottery tickets are not so easy to get; they’re not for free.

I think the same thing could apply for fishing quests.

4 Likes

With how fishing quests work, everyone has a reason to cooperate to one another. Since everyone shares the same fishing quest, players are encouraged to build lakes together and such. Some players even trade quest fish for items with other players, and there would be no reason to have these interactions if players had differing fishing quests.

To reiterate a previous point, your suggesting the excision of the element of cooperation.

Players have the chance of getting and redeeming one quest fish every 24 minutes. It’s debatably more of a nuisance.

Besides, regardless of whether you’re teleporting to another player or not, you still have to fish. Quick transportation is one thing, but having enough bait and decent enough gear is an entirely different issue.

5 Likes

There are reasons other than Quest Fish for players to cooperate with each other.

I’ll be honest, I have never actually seen anyone trade a quest fish for an item from someone else. They were never that useful anyway, you can only redeem one quest fish a day. (As a side note, a trade involving quest fish will always be a terrible trade.)

Cooperation in DG Survival was always voluntary. Most of the time, a reward is not needed for people to cooperate, plus there are rewards other than quest fishing, and it’s very likely that people would get a fishing quest in the same biome, although the fish in question is different.

Whether fishing quests are the same or not, people will still help each other build infrastructure regardless. And most of the time people don’t even need to build an artificial lake in the first place, because it’s highly unlikely that there won’t already be a naturally-generated one somewhere near a warp.

4 Likes

I hate finding good fishing spots sometimes, its a nuisance. I only do the angler for rewards, mainly cell phone mats. If you really want to adventure, you can challenge yourself to ignore the fishing spots already built and make a new one or find a new one.

3 Likes

The only hard spots are really just Corrupt/Crimson spots and Underground Tundra spots, and nothing’s wrong with using the ones already built. Plus most of the time you don’t get evil biome/underground tundra quests. Other than that, it’s honestly just trivial at this point when it shouldn’t be.

4 Likes

That’s true, but Angler quests are the driving motivation to explore and create the largest variety of different and inaccessible biome lakes.

Although it’s uncommon, some players trade quest fish since the other one wants to redeem it for a reward. In these cases, the offeree has some reason for not fishing themselves but still desire a reward from the Angler.

Cooperation in Survival is never compulsory. However, players usually cooperate for mutual benefit or because they’re well acquainted with one another. I’d argue that rewards do incentivize cooperation as they it provides a reason to coordinate boss fights and build lakes, etc. Players normally don’t explore, mine, or build farms together since the benefits are mutually exclusive.

From experience, I can doubtlessly claim that most players don’t fish in different biomes to obtain the exclusive biome fish that is necessary for certain potions. Players primarily opt for crates and weapon fish which are the most valuable in pre-hardmode and early-hardmode. However, players seek quest fish throughout the entire game, and it provides a reason to explore the largest variety of different and obscure biome lakes.

There are 41 different Angler quests in the game, 31 of them are available in pre-hardmode. The chances of you getting the same quest fish for the same biome is rather low.

This is a valid point; however, it’s different when players work to build infrastructure preemptively and when players build infrastructure on the fly. Players do help each other build infrastructure, but only to a certain extent. When I played Survival, players would rush to the underground hallowed, the underground ice biome, etc to quickly build a lake with bombs and water buckets. The only reason why they even work together like this is because they all seek the same thing - the same quest fish. I don’t think this would continue if players receive differing quest fish.

The issue isn’t the fact that most biome lakes are accessible, it’s the fact that there are some biome lakes that aren’t.

I don’t see this being addressed.

5 Likes

Alright this is getting complicated, and I don’t have all the time to respond to every single one of these in the same session… (why do you have to do this lol, i thought you never even played anymore)

What do you mean? There are multiple cavern fish quests, multiple sky fish quests, (plus spawn already has a sky lake,) multiple surface quests, etc. I said ‘same biome’ not ‘same quest.’ This is what I said…

In all the weeks I’ve played, I have not seen a single person say in chat “Can someone do the quest fish for me?” or “Can someone catch me the quest fish too? I’ll pay.” It’s not uncommon, in my experience it’s either really rare or just doesn’t even happen at all.

Don’t need to, because I think it’s irrelevant, and I also somewhat agree.

As I said, the point of the angler quests is that you have to search for a fishing spot in a certain biome and start fishing. Looking for the fishing spot is already easy enough, and fishing is also really easy if you’ve done at least five quests or more. When a fishing spot isn’t easy to find, people will definitely build an artificial lake. Even if said artificial biome lake won’t benefit the builders at the time of its creation, it will definitely benifit them at some point in the future so the Quest Fish reward is technically still there. I don’t see much of a reason why it should be even easier than it already is, by allowing players to just teleport to each other for the same quest fish without preparing an artificial lake or NPC housing beforehand.

Sure, you can just use /tpnpc to teleport to a villager close to a lake, but to be able to do that in the first place you still have to set up NPC housing, plus that’s already kinda in the base-game in the form of the Pylon system.

If my words now conflict with what I’ve said previously, it’s because my thoughts on this topic (maybe with the help of your input) may have changed the more I thought about it.

4 Likes

All of these points might be valid, but it would be pretty difficult to code, which is why I think it might not work.

4 Likes

Programming already is really difficult, and I don’t think having Angler Quests be different between players will be as difficult as you think it is, or even a lot of the stuff Rofle has already made…

4 Likes

If im right about how the Tshock thing Tejdxa sent works, every time a new day starts the server would randomize a number for every player currently on the server to find what quest fish they would do, and it would also give a random quest to a player when they join survival. I don’t think i see anything about the server being able to check whether you have completed the quest or not, so I wonder what would happen if someone who’s already completed the quest left and rejoined since their quest fish would have to change too.

I don’t think you’ve addressed this. If you want to challenge yourself, go find another lake that hasn’t already been built or found. Then people who don’t like fishing won’t have to suffer at the hands of this suggestion.

4 Likes

If you don’t like to do something but want the rewards, then idk tbh. It’s the same as saying ‘I want life crystals but don’t like exploring the underground,’ or ‘I want boss loot but don’t like fighting bosses,’ or ‘I don’t like exploring the dungeon, but I want the loot.’ Unless you’re willing to leech off of other people, you still have to either way, and it’s the same thing for fishing.

In other words, no pain, no gain.

(and if people don’t like fishing and only want cellphone materials, they can just not focus on fishing and make trades to get the cellphone materials…)

4 Likes