Duels as a Gamemode

As some people have seen, work has commenced on Duels as a Gamemode. This is going to be done in multiple stages and it is up to users whether they want to test it out at any point. But please do note that this is a multi-step process and it’s not going to work as we want until we reach at least the end of our plan.

Edit: Please note that this does not account for bug fixes, which will be done throughout the process.

The current plan:

Step 1 - Done
Setup a world with arenas on it to use for duel lobbies.

Step 2 - Done
Add the duel mode to GameModes. This is the simplest form of this idea, which is just reuse everything from zombies, if a player types /join duel, it either puts them in a lobby waiting for 1 other person or it joins an existing one. Once both players are there they get thrown into a duel arena and then shoved back into gamemodes.

Step 3 - In-progress
Players can now type /join duel or simply /duel in PvP itself and it will take them to gamemodes and join a duel.
Players can now select the map to duel on instead of it being randomized.

Step 4
Outputs of duels are printed in PvP.
Ammo and potion refill functionality added.

Step 5
/join duel now uses a queue system, meaning the player is not put into a duel until matched with another player.

Step 6
When queuing, they are sent to PvP and then sent to the duel match once it’s ready

Step 7
Queue is updated to track the rating of players to try to ensure that players of different skill levels aren’t matched together too eagerly. The longer the player queues, the wider the allowed skill gap becomes for matchmaking.

Step 8
The queue is updated to also wait more time if necessary, to ensure players are not matched with the same person repeatedly.

Step 9
Users can queue for a duel and go to any dimension (including zombies) while waiting.

5 Likes

Will we be able to make arenas as players?

1 Like

Absolutely!
You will NOT be able to make them on the PvP or Duel dimension, but you absolutely can attempt to make an arena on the build dimension, or on your own worlds!
If you want to submit duel arenas, your best bet is to DM me on Discord (@Blanc#6336) with the world file you built the arena on, OR ping me on the DG Discord, and try to line up some time for me to go in-game and check out the arena!
I would HIGHLY suggest anyone looking to submit custom made PvP Arenas get other experienced PvPers to mess around in them and work out the kinks, as we want to provide a very high-quality PvP experience wherever possible, so the bar for arenas may be a little bit high.

2 Likes

I don’t have discord account, and I hate using discord. Is there any other way I can contact you? Like how I am right now?

1 Like

Yes, you can simply send me a message on the forums by going to my profile (by clicking on my name) and clicking message.

2 Likes

Remaining to address before moving on to step 3

• Score isn’t shown, neither in-duel in the ui, or in the post game message
  • If one player leaves, the other will remain in the duel with nothing happening, unable to progress.
  • When someone dies, the other player is killed, and “player killed themself” shows up in chat. If this message can be removed, it should be to reduce clutter. This function can also break and repeat itself multiple times for some reason.
  • Duel can still occasionally break for seemingly no reason, terminating before players are even warped to the arena, sending “The Battle was terminated.” and leaving the players in the pre-game arena. This should at least warp players back to the gamemodes dimension, and kick them out of the lobby
3 Likes