Boss damage scale with health

As you’re aware, bosses in PvE have roughly ~60 - 70k more health per player because of HP Scaling, meaning when there’s 10 or more players on PvE, bosses like Duke Fishron or Empress of Light will have 800k - 1.4m HP. Pair this with the Damage increase they have from a fairly recent silent update, Duke Fishron will always do 275 - 325 Damage per hit. Empress of Light will always do 450 - 1200 Damage per hit.

I was thinking since bosses will usually have higher health that the damage should be flat and lowered based off of the health.
Could also implement debuffs for bosses with more than 500k HP or in general. Such as Frostburn, Venom, Oil + On Fire, Ichor/Broken Armor/Betsy’s Curse.

Playes will always try to tank bosses since that’s a strategy to boss fights. Some boss fight shouldn’t be tankable whatsoever, scu as Empress of Light, Duke Fishron, Moon Lord, Plantera, Skeletron Prime, etc.

Checkpoints (Can set debuffs for each boss type, amount of hp, and phase (if possible)).
If less than 100,000 HP = 300 Dmg
Approx. 250,000 HP = 150 Dmg
If greater than 500,000 HP = 100 Dmg & Debuff 1-6s
If greater than 1,000,000 HP = 90 Dmg & Debuffs 6-12s
If incorrect boss time = 450 Dmg & Debuffs 12-27s

Random Values (Last 3 digits from health are converted to decimals in dmg then rounded up. Random debuffs and times).
165,740 HP = 236 Dmg
239,585 HP = 162 Dmg
436,320 HP = 114 Dmg
765,236 HP = 100 Dmg & Betsy’s Curse 4.75s
1,001,000 HP = 90 Dmg & Oil + On Fire 6.5s
1,340,790 HP = 90 Dmg & Venom + Poison 11.45s
1,676,998 HP = 90 Dmg & Broken Armor + Betsy’s Curse 12s

If you think this could be changed to be better or have different ideas, leave them in replies.

What if the damage scales based on which number of people have attacked them?

3 Likes

Just a nitpick, but you could specify the amount of debuffs?

2 Likes

“Debuffs” would mean more than one, so you could possibly add all 7. But the amount of debuffs is based off of the amount of HP since bosses with higher HP will deal less damage, the more debuff compensation they’ll get.

2 Likes

Also, wouldn’t it make more sense for there to be a damage multiplier scaled with HP?

2 Likes

You mean more damage the more health a boss has? wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of making bosses somewhat more balanced than they currently are? Also I think damage should scale on how many people have attacked that boss is a good idea, that way it isn’t annoying fighting bosses when there’s 5+ people in the dimension that aren’t even contributing to your boss fight.

2 Likes

I thought a multiplier <1 could be applied to the base damage of a boss if the HP is high. Likewise, a multiplier >1 could be applied to the base damage of a boss if the HP is low.

If this could be implemented, I don’t think the initial proposal would have to be implemented to begin with.

2 Likes

Alternatively, I thought of a different idea. Reading you proposal, I got the idea that damage would be inversely proportional to the amount of health the Boss has. Damage could be based on something like this:

\text {Current HP of the Boss} = \frac {\text {Some Constant}}{\text {The Amount of Damage the Boss Inflicts}}
2 Likes

Wait what? Im confused
The hp would massively go down once damage starts being inflicted according to this.
By current HP do you mean Current Damage, and by damage inflicted do you mean how many people haave damaged it?

2 Likes

The more HP the Boss has, the less damage it inflicts. The less HP it has, the more damage it inflicts.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying
Im pretty sure that the hp of the boss increases with more players, not the damage being the one that scales, so (dmg = constant/hp) might work more.

2 Likes

This function is more apt.

\text {Damage the Boss Inflicts}=\begin{cases} 300 &\text{if Boss HP}\leq 100,000 \\ \frac {\text {Some Constant}} {\text {Boss HP}} & \text {if 100,000 < Boss HP < 1,000,000} \\ 90& \text{if Boss HP} \geq 1,000,000 \end{cases}
3 Likes

Tbh this sounds better than the original suggestion, although both would be nice

2 Likes

I think only yem’s proposal should be implemented if possible.

2 Likes

I think the idea that the boss should be doing more damage the less health it has overtime is a good idea as well.

2 Likes

Speaking of which, PvE is real trash for DP farming. Most bosses give no DP, and ones that do are pretty bad (only 3 DP for duke, at least according to the wiki guide? That’s like killing three players in PvP, which is way easier).

Maybe I should make this into a real suggestion

1 Like

Either DP is too easy or too hard to get in PvE. If there is a feasible source of DP, then it will definitely be exhaustively exploited.

In 1.3, boss-related entities (Moon Lord Leeches, Golem Fists, Slimes spawned from King Slime, etc) gave a fair share of DP. Golem farming and especially King Slime farming were the easiest ways to amass a lot of DP back then.

Early in 1.4, the sign command for EoL only summoned EoL and not the Dukes. Since EoL gave 75 DP per kill, players who practiced fighting EoL could farm a lot of DP in a matter of hours.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s how I got 22k DP before. Empress was a good source but hard to kill because she had 1M+ HP, so Duke Fishron was also good, gave 20-40 DP I think.

2 Likes

This sounds good but Constant/BossHP doesnt scale correctly. The equation has to cover the range from 100k to 1m, but with just plain division it wouldn’t work correctly. (Constant/100k) cant be 3.3x more than (SameConstant/1m), since 100k is a whole 10x smaller than 1m, so it would have to be 10x more.
For example, (90m/1m)=90 but (90m/100k)=900 | (30m/100k)=300, but (30m/1m)=30.
And thats why, after taking too long messing with logarithms, on a suggestion that only has one vote and probably wont be implemented, i have come up with an equation that has way too many decimals.

If HP > 100k, dmg = 300
dmg = (1352 - log1.011(BossHP))
If HP < 1m, dmg = 90

2 Likes

Yeah. . . you’re right about that.

I’ve been messing around and created an exponential decay equation on desmos.
It’s far from perfect, so go ahead and fine tune it if you want.

Are you sure this works?

3 Likes