Banning Abilities On Certain Maps

To zombies map builders, it’s extremely annoying when people use abilities that the the map builders don’t want them to use. For example shaman on Cryptic Castle. (I made the health chest cost low for a reason!) What if the map builders can just ban abilities for their maps?

After selecting the arena,
/zability ban [ability name]

And to unban,
/zability unban [ability name]

That’s a pretty neat idea. It’d be interesting to see maps ban all abilities or have some maps focus on specific abilities

5 Likes

What’s the basis for this change? To give players less options? To make people avoid maps that they cannot use their favourite ability on? I don’t see how this is a positive change.

Edit:
To be clear, if you have an argument for why this is a good thing, you should put it since there’s none in the original post.

6 Likes

In response to your edit, I know, its’s just that I was playing some zombies. I will reply now.

Some maps that have been made in such ways are easily exploitable with some abilities. Everybody may use the tactic and not play the map how it is supposed to be played, maybe even getting completely maxed out at round 8. If a map is exploitable by an ability, but it without the ability has a way that correlates to how the map is played in a good way, then why not stop the ability from being used?

4 Likes

The only thing I can see so far is parkour with telekinesis, but for people who don’t like parkour that can alleviate a potential reason to not play that map anyway.

If anything, in the minority of cases, you could apply harsher penalties for certain abilities that work too well on a map, but to ban them seems limiting. Parkour maps that are trivial with telekinesis could apply a cost penalty to that ability to push the difficulty in a different direction, so that map isn’t too easy with it. I would say this should be used sparingly because most abilities should be well-rounded and balanced.

I don’t understand your Shaman example. The point of Shaman is to get extra HP, that doesn’t seem to relate to your map only. It can make buying HP redundant on other maps just the same.

5 Likes

I see your point. But with my shaman example, it’s supposed to involve more strategy to get the points needed to buy the required health for my map (6000). Shaman renders some of the strategy in Cryptic as pointless, because instead of having to explore different techniques, all you have to do is get someone to join, shaman, leave, join, shaman, leave, and so on. Maybe instead of banning abilities, there could be a way to modify them for the map?

4 Likes

What do you mean leave + join? Isn’t that an exploit? You can’t base a suggestion off of a bug.

5 Likes

(The bug has already been reported)
Even when using shaman in any way, at round 16 everyone would have at least 1000 health unless your bad at using abilities. This is a major advantage with not much effort put into it at all.

4 Likes

Sounds to me like you’re saying Shaman isn’t balanced rather than it’s imbalanced on your map specifically.

5 Likes

It’s actually more imbalanced on my map than other maps (based on what the map is built for). I made the health chest cost low so people will use it, but even if shaman has the same power on all maps, it breaks the point of Cryptic much worse. This is why I want to limit it’s power, even ban it on Cryptic.

4 Likes

It would make more sense if you said the health chest is expensive, since that would make Shaman effective in terms of saving points. Being cheap means you’re not saving much by using Shaman.

5 Likes

Yes, but the problem is that it was not how I even intended as how to get health. What I had in mind was people using the farm weapons from the classes well enough to get health for everyone. Shaman on Cryptic doesn’t save points as much as it does on other maps, but instead it makes point farming for health (and therefore needing advanced people who won’t kill mobs that your trying to farm) less and less needed depending on how many of your teammates are using shaman.

4 Likes

That could be a good thing if people want to skip farming for health. Shaman still increases cost over not using an ability, so they still pay more points for things like weapons to use it. I don’t think there should be one sole way to play a map and only that way. That is how you alienate users who would otherwise enjoy playing.

7 Likes

I guess that makes sense.

4 Likes

Imo I think limiting a users choices and their favorites wouldn’t have to much benefiting stuff coming out of it. Sure it’d make people to think outside the box but than again being forced to play a map if your vote is in the minority and than being told you can’t play your class could be frustrating and let alone how long some Zombies games go by. I feel more options would be better.

6 Likes

Simple, no cheese. What’s the point of playing a map just to cheese it with sentry or shaman? Where’s the fun in that? /vote is also an option.

4 Likes

It’s not your choice whether people get to have fun using those abilities. If those people like doing that, why do you want to stop them?

8 Likes

I do like how the hp chest is low in cost, I don’t think you should remove shaman.

5 Likes

its not removing shaman, its the ability to ban its usage in certain maps, according to the map makers will

4 Likes

ah yes, cheesing tf out of maps is definetly fun.

4 Likes