Audio and Particle Cues

Currently, Zombies uses combat text(“Help Me!” and “Score: xyz” pop ups) as its primary signal, but audio and particle cues are also usable, though not implemented yet. What would you like to see be given an audio and/or particle cue?

A list of planned ones

• Audio cue for ability ready
  • Particle cues(at zombie spawns) before zombies spawn
6 Likes

There’s more particles that were added in 1.4.4 but this documents a good bunch Particle Types - World Ping Visualizer

3 Likes

Ok this is gonna be cool

2 Likes

question: do audio cues have to be vanilla sounds? (probably but i just wanna make sure)

2 Likes

I don’t think any of the effects in that list fit the cue of death. But visually, the keybrand effect would look best.

2 Likes

Oh they’re audio cues mb!

2 Likes

Yeah, but we can change the volume and pitch

3 Likes

particle and audio cues are usable, they’re not mutually exclusive. Also, what would death cue be for?

3 Likes

The death cue as in the particle & audio addition to the “help me” pop up

2 Likes

I’ll throw out as many particle ideas as I can think of on the spot based on the particles shown in that list. I dunno what the exhaustive list for usable particles is, if there’s one of those somewhere then that’d be appreciated.

Barrage

Maybe either of the flame trails (Flame Waker Boots or Death Goat, I don’t see the difference in the gifs shown) could be on or around the player’s head if the Barrage is cancelled prematurely by taking damage? After all, we don’t know how those rockets are appearing, but something’s clearly short - circuiting, so why not show that off?

Guardian

Keybrand effects on the player whenever they get an upgrade, since more upgrades mean more Guardians. That power’s got to be getting there somehow, it should be shown!

Shaman

This dabbles in some dark magic… albeit for a greater good, so it’s fine. Let’s lean into that a little more. The Shaman user has the Dark Harvest Hit effect surround their player when they take health. Other affected players have the Dark Harvest Buff pop out of them. To reflect the permanent health benefits from all that stored HP, when the HP boost is used all affected players (Shaman user or not) have the Stellar Tune particles surround them.

Time Warp

When the Time Warp user teleports back 3 seconds, i.e. the “Time Warp” command on the sidebar, the player leaves behind Rainbow Rod Hit particles. When they freeze enemies in time, i.e. the “Stop Time” command on the sidebar (or, well, tries to, the glitchy flying enemies would like to have a word with that), the other players have the Dark Harvest Buff particles pop out of their bodies when they’re slowed.

Telekinesis

When the Telekinesis user uses any of the Ability’s effects, Keybrand particles flash around their player. Stardust Guardian Punches could work too, but I suggest Keybrand since Telekinesis is more visual, so it could be seen more easily.

Wish

This Ability has a lot of effects, so it’s in a dropdown menu.

Suggestions for Wish particle effects. Large wall of text with unofficial labels and exact Wish text given
  • Damage Boost (“I wish I dealt more damage”) - Displays Rainbow Rod Hit around the player when they gain the Damage Nebula buff.

• Player Death (“I wish to die”) - Displays Dark Harvest Hit around the player when they’re killed.

• Regen Boost (“I wish to heal faster”) - Displays Resonance Scepter around the player when they gain the Life Nebula buff.

• Instant Health (“I wish to be healed”) - Displays Stellar Tune around the player when they’re healed.

• Other Player Death (“I wish Player Name would die”) - Displays Dark Harvest Buff around the targeted player after the “Danger approaches…” warning until the damage from the Wish is applied.

• Speed Boost (“I wish to move faster”) - Displays either of the flame trails at the player’s feet when they gain the Swiftness and Panic! buffs.

Reverent

This one is… I only played with the ability once so I can’t make too many suggestions, but knowing generally how the ability works I think having the Dark Harvest Buff starting to appear around the Reverent player’s body as they start becoming debuffed from increasing insanity would make sense. As the insanity debuffs flare up further it could change to Dark Harvest Hit. Overall, change between no particles (low insanity with no debuffs), Dark Harvest Buff (small particles if the player has some debuffs), and Dark Harvest Hit (larger particles if the player has many debuffs) based on the player’s insanity level.

3 Likes

I have some ideas that i would probably suggest in a few days, that may be supplemented by this idea, however, this is great news.

2 Likes

I realized there were a more particles added than I expected so here’s an updated list of them.

A few notes:

• Chlorophyte Leaf Crystal Shots have about ~200 variants, each varying slightly in green
  • Item Transfer is the particle used for quick stacking, and can be applied to any item
Name Image
Keybrand Keybrand
Flame Waders Flame Waders
Stellar Tune Stellar Tune
Goat Mount Goat Mount
Dark Harvest Hit Dark Harvest Hit
Rainbow Rod Hit Rainbow Rod Hit
Dark Harvest Small Dark Harvest Small
Stardust Guardian Punch Stardust Guardian Punch
Resonance Scepter Resonance Scepter
Paladin’s Hammer Paladin's Hammer
Night’s Edge Night's Edge
Silver Bullet Sparkle Silver Bullet Sparkle
True Night’s Edge True Night's Edge
Excalibur Excalibur
True Excalibur True Excalibur
Terra Blade Terra Blade
Chlorophyte Leaf Crystal Passive Chlorophyte Leaf Crystal Passive
Chlorophyte Leaf Crystal Shot (Variant 100) Chlorophyte Leaf Crystal Shot (Variant 100)
Chlorophyte Leaf Crystal Shot (Variant 255) Chlorophyte Leaf Crystal Shot (Variant 255)
Ash Tree Shake Ash Tree Shake
Pet Exchange Pet Exchange
Gas Trap Gas Trap
Item Transfer (Obsidian Skull) Item Transfer (Obsidian Skull)
Item Transfer (Zenith) Item Transfer (Zenith)
Shimmer Arrow Shimmer Arrow
Town Slime Transform (Nerdy Slime) Town Slime Transform (Nerdy Slime)
Town Slime Transform (Copper Slime) Town Slime Transform (Copper Slime)
Town Slime Transform (Elder slime) Town Slime Transform (Elder slime)
Loadout Change Loadout Change
Shimmer Block Shimmer Block
Digestion Digestion
Poo Fly Poo Fly
Shimmer Town NPC Shimmer Town NPC
Shimmer Town NPC Teleport Shimmer Town NPC Send
3 Likes

This would look a bit finnicky for dashes, as particles can’t be anchored to players exactly

2 Likes

Item transfer with bullets seems like a decent idea

2 Likes

Could you elaborate on that?

2 Likes

If you can set coords to where item goes, relatively to player, maybe set silv bullets, for example, 1 block to -+ direction and 1 to ++, it can make some deco for telek jump

2 Likes

I dont know how exactly is customisable it though, so…

2 Likes

Barrage

Here’s Barrage with Flame Waker Boots’ particles
Barrage Cancel

Guardian

Guardian Upgrade

Shaman

Shaman Take

Shaman Give

Time Warp

Timewhoosh

And then Time Warp slowing people down(from the perspective of the user)
Each time the particles spawn the ability triggers once. The ability cooldown was artificially lowered so comparison is easier. It alternates between Dark Harvest Large and Dark Harvest Small. I think the former is a bit too excessive, though
Tiiiime

Telekinesis

And Telekinesis with Keybrand particles on push/pull and jump
Telekinesis Keybrand

Telekinesis with Keybrand particles for dashing
Telekinesis Keybrand Dash

Telekinesis with a few Resonance Scepter particles for dashing
Telekinesis Princess Weapon

Wish

Damage Boost

Damage Wish

Death Wish

(3rd person perspective) Looks great tbh.
Death Wish

Heal Boost

Heal Boost Wish

Heal Wish

Heal Wish

Kill Wish

Kill Wish

Speed Wish

Whoosh

Reverent

Reverent

Dead Players

Oh and this is dead players with bits of Dark Harvest
Can I get a res

3 Likes

I mean what would it trigger for? I get that it has something to do with Item Transfer and Silver Bullets, but not sure what would apply to it

2 Likes

Well, you’d be leaving behind whatever you’d have using the same force that pushes and pulls enemies. I think it’d be better like that since it being a one off thing instead of a constant effect (like, say, Flame Waker boots while moving) helps makes it more distinguishable from equippable dash effects like Tabi and Crystal Assassin.

Yeah, the larger particles do seem like a bit much for such a minor effect. Looking through the other effects you posted, maybe Paladin’s Hammer sent in whatever direction the affected player’s current velocity is (e.g. if they’re going to the right, it goes right) would be better since they get slowed, whereas the Time Warp user freezing time has Ash Tree Shake applied at their location when they stop time?

2 Likes