An essay

sighhhh
im bored, so i will write an essay on why summoner is the best class
(yes i realize i sound like a broken record, I’m just getting this out of my system, i swear i wont randomly talk about it from now on, this is my early new year’s resolution)

Introduction

If you haven’t heard of the summoning class (I highly doubt it though) and/or simply don’t know much about it, read these!

Definition

The summoning class is one of the four Terraria classes that specializes in using other summonable entities to deal damage. Keep in mind that these entities cannot be damaged by friend or foe, but you can get rid of them by double tapping their buff icon (unless you’re using a sentry- you’ll have to wait for it to despawn).
These entities do not work independently, however- you can direct them and choose which enemies you want them to target by right-clicking the enemy with a summon weapon in hand or you can hit an enemy with a whip (more info on that later).

All Subclasses and Functions
Subclass Functionality Weapons Within This Subclass
Whips Used to direct summons, supplies extra DPS, all whips apply a special effect that boosts your summons’ damage, whip swing speed is affected by melee speed, flask effects apply to them Leather Whip, Snapthorn, Spinal Tap, Firecracker, Cool Whip, Durendal, Dark Harvest, Morning Star, Kaleidoscope
Minions The primary source of damage, each minion takes up one minion slot, some minions stay as one minion but upgrade per minion slot, receive boosts from whips, follow the player when idle Finch Staff, Slime Staff, Abigail’s Flower, Flinx Staff, Vampire Frog Staff, Hornet Staff, Imp Staff, Spider Staff, Sanguine Staff, Pirate Staff, Blade Staff, Optic Staff, Deadly Sphere Staff, Raven Staff, Desert Tiger Staff, Pygmy Staff, Tempest Staff, Terraprisma, Xeno Staff, Stardust Cell Staff, Stardust Dragon Staff
Sentries Literally just minions, but they stay in one place at all times and use sentry slots instead of minion slots Houndius Shootius, Lightning Aura Rod/Cane/Staff, Explosive Trap Rod/Cane/Staff, Flameburst Rod/Cane/Staff, Ballista Rod/Cane/Staff, Queen Spider Staff, Staff of the Frost Hydra, Rainbow Crystal Staff, Lunar Portal Staff
Mechanics

The summoning class has many different mechanics that all play into how it functions. Literally click this link if you want a full list.

With that done, allow me to show yall exactly why I think this is truly the best class.

First Reason: Raw DPS

What, did you think I wouldn’t mention this? This is one of the primary reasons anybody even uses summoner- it works on the classic saying “The greatest defense is a great offense.” While it is overused a bit, it’s very true in this context. The summoning class deals such high DPS that common enemies are simply obliterated. All bosses can easily be melted in well under a minute. The stupid thing is, other classes either require much more effort to do the exact same thing, or they’re physically incapable of doing the same thing. Need proof? See these videos!

If that wasn’t enough (lol), let’s take a look at the other plethora of advantages!

Second Reason: Focusing

To start off, take a peek at what Cataclysmic Armageddon, an extremely skilled no-hitter, has to say about the summoner class;

If you wanna watch the whole video, go ahead, but if you want the answer only, skip to 4:08.

Anyway, focus is key to anything, really. If you can’t focus, you can’t beat a boss, you’re much more susceptible to enemies, and you also have much slower reaction time. Summons do the focusing for you, allowing you to spelunk, build, or fish in peace as they fend off enemies for you. By the way, not a single weapon in the other three classes can do the same thing, and the Bone Helm, Volatile Gelatin, and Spore Sac, as much as I love them, they both take up accessory slots and can’t fend off stronger enemies very well. Summons, however, can without any hassle.
Even if you’re not a summoner, just having some summons still helps with DPS. If you’re scared of iFrames, 1.4.4 fixed almost all known iFrame issues with weapons such as the Nimbus Rod and the Clinger Staff, and - yep - minions and sentries! Notice that no other class or weapon can be used at the same time as other weapons of other classes and help out with DPS. Now, you may be saying, ‘NIMBUS ROD CRIMSON ROD CLINGER STAFF RAINBOW GUN’, but those only last a certain amount of time (2 minutes, a significantly shorter duration than even sentries, which last for 10 minutes), while minions are permanent as long as you have enough buff slots, and these ‘magic sentries’ also stay stationary and simply deal passive damage. Even summon sentries, while they do stay still, they target and attack nearby enemies, even those that aren’t directly touching them.
Also, while minor, magic sentries have a bit of a delay when summoning, and it’s very easy to summon them at an inefficient angle or place (especially with Rainbow Gun). Sentries don’t really have inefficient places to be, seeing as how they attack enemies directly. They also are summoned instantly and without delay, directly on top of the mouse cursor. No other class has this ability.

Anyway, I think I’m done reading the reasons. That sums it up. If y’all have any criticism or want to point out the cons of the class, please reply and tell me. I’ll be happy to answer your concerns and questions.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 8.14.52 PM

6 Likes

summoner sucks.

5 Likes

why do you say that? I could say the exact same thing about the ranger class lol

4 Likes

i got 500k dps on plantera with SUMMONER mixing the dragon and lunar portal staff
terraprisma sucks
firecracker+kaliedoscope+morning star op

conclusion: summoner op
never fight daytime empress because the dragon is op in every way

use full stardust except the helmet which instead use sentry armor. lunar portal staff is the best sentry weapon ever so get monks belt and apprentices scarf for the best strength of summoner

you get: better performance than the zenith

5 Likes

i object, it’s actually a ton better than every other weapon at its tier, it’s also better than the dragon at dealing with crowds and the Lunar Events, as well as having a better AI

stardust dragon staff is on a completely different tier than Terraprisma, terraprisma is post-plantera and pre-golem, while stardust dragon is endgame, and is still worse than it in several aspects, that’s like telling somebody not to get Vampire Frog Staff because Imp Staff exists

6 Likes

With the firecracker,8 minion slots, and 32 summon tag with 22% crit, you can get about a maximum of 4200 damage on a critical strike but you would be mostly dealing around 500-750 damage assuming you had 150% damage increase

6 Likes

damage per hit isn’t everything…

6 Likes

You could, but it would be a laughable claim

7 Likes

go ahead i dislike ranger

7 Likes

I dislike Ranger too.

7 Likes

Interesting.
Unfortunately, I suck at dodging (and tanking hits is way funnier for cheesing), so I say melee is cooler.

now try thrower class in 2022 lmao

6 Likes

I still enjoy true melee against bosses because it’s actually a challenge

6 Likes

1.4.5 base game throwing class buff leaked???

Lmao

5 Likes

i also really enjoy this, right behind summoner…

sadly, the rest of the melee class is just meh, so I can’t say I like the class

6 Likes

Summoner? how bout’ you get Summ bitches

9 Likes

emotional damage

nonetheless, i have a severe maiden deficiency, so no

6 Likes

Funny joke, Madeira. Summoner is in the upper class.

5 Likes

summoner has higher dps then other classes making the magic class trash

5 Likes

Throwing class be like compared to literally every other class

6 Likes

tfw mage still got more defense than summoner

7 Likes