Zombies pvp: unexplored potential

One of the things, that make games fun is the competitiveness. After all, playing the game for yourself is far less interesting, than playing game in order to be better than others in it.

Quite a long ago i came up with concept of zombies pvp, this is the first mention i could find
So far, it hasnt been popular… Largest game we could ever scramble was with 6 ppl, and it was quite a mess since zombies isnt meant for any kinds of pvp → there is no optimisation for it.

Lemme tell you more about concept now. The lobby is split into couple of teams (prefferably, 2, makes management easier). Whenever all players from one team die, other one wins. One of the most basic strategical decisions you can make is when first enemies die to either steal score from enemy team or dont revive them so you dont put urself at risk and may have a chance at winning earlier.
One of the problems here is ability of other team to just afk, and win most likely. This theoretically can be solved with help of special command of some sort that will output all players’ networth. This way, for example, a time limit could be set, so you are encouraged to actually play. Are you in favor of such addition (if this will have more than 5 votes, ima do a proper suggestion)

• Command to output all players’ worth should exist
0 voters

Of course, if team doesnt attack, it wont be able to repel later rounds, however, most of the times, by the time those come, game is already over.

Also another factor is difference in matches. For one, it could be team vs team, maybe also deathmatch between a couple of more than 2 teams or deathmatch, where once certain player dies, they are kicked, and battle goes on between others.

This can also be a solution to make playerbase more active and retaining, as currently, there are a lot of players that go in and go out. And i understand them - there is not much you can do other than unlock 2 abilities. So, bringing competition is probably a good solution.

This post is just sharing thoughts about this aspect. Let me know your opinion on this!

3 Likes

maps seem to have 3 different structures: uneven maps, center base maps, and no base maps

uneven maps have a frontline that moves further and backwards according to the mob waves and players control one side or region of the map (ruina, lunar mineshafts, catacombs, beach house, snow ruins)

center base maps are similar but zombies actively threaten player control from multiple sides (winter’s scream, snowyville, miner’s deceit, hill house, shadow’s descent)

no base maps aren’t really unified under a single structure, but players are either spread throughout the map to cover different mob spawns or if there aren’t any obvious safe regions to control (chaidou woods, crashland, cyber complex, bewitched, shadow requiem)

so what’s this word vomit for
well, for there to be 2 or more competing teams with the goal of killing eachother off, only no base maps work: killing zombies in the other two category maps would benefit the entire lobby, meaning the competition aspect would only be relegated to economic warfare

pvp only works if there are multiple viable spots to establish a stronghold or enough mobility to maneuver the entire map like cryptic castle, so this sort of activity is pretty limited with regards to where and how you can set it up without it “being a mess”.

like, seriously, how would you make a tower defense game PvP, try and think how examples like BTD and MvM would work without having seperate instances of the game for each team/competitor

you can play more zombies, until you get burnt out of every map in rotation and playing with abilities

also, don’t word this as a solution, this would only somewhat impede the speed of which the problem worsens and pvp would get stale similarly to regular zombies without friends to play with consistently

also, the poll question makes no sense. does the command just make a list of how many points a player earned? that just seems like the sort of thing to encourage toxicity and serve little function regardless
3 Likes

I didnt exactly understand this point: killing zombies would benefit everyone in lobby regardless, its just that you gain more benefit by getting more money and defending yourself

Zombies is not tower defence tho?.. And seperate instances were never excluded, it requires some testing to see which one is more viable

i thought of making this not on everyday basis, but more like a tournament, otherwise organisation issues are gonna plague this concept.

I dont get how this encourages toxicity, with such idea showing whenever player dies is also bad because everyone can scroll up chat, count, and this will encourage toxicity
And usablity may be in smth like sentry runs or generally in long runs in order to count, for example, how much did it take to set something up

3 Likes

In my opinion there is no need for teams. It could be that your attacks only give points to yourself, and without revives.

Or it could be 2 teams, and after a condition (e.g. a timer or round) players are teleported to an arena, and whoever has the best gear and skill wins.
A special mobility shop could be implemented before the battle starts to fix the problem of no mobility in certain maps.

3 Likes

I am personally strictly against direct pvp (for now, at least)

Free for all (aka deathmatch) could also be one of the sub- gamemodes

3 Likes