Your opinion about dg map creation progress

Note: even if you are not mb, still write how do you feel about map creations, were they long, boring, etc…

So in this post i want you to express your opinion about zombies map build process

This is my opinion:

1. Creation of map itself is pretty fun (probably least flawful, boring, time consuming and stupid part). You simply build whatever you want. But here lies a problem. There are a lot of low deco maps and even current map submissions. Out of 10 latest submissions almost half have bad deco or no deco at all: Village 1944, Pvz, Wet caverns, Fiery crags. But you are free to do everything so thats cool. The 2nd biggest problem at this stage are Terraria limitations. Too many mob spawns - lag. Way too many - no mobs spawn. You have to find lag-free balance and keep map fun. There are no build requirements afaik so maps can be pretty dull. But overall this process is fine, low build req allow for more creativity, but i would love to see at least some quality checks.
  2. Submission and approval. This part is the most confusing for a new person, you may have to wait days, weeks, months, until a single zmanager checks and moves your map. Also i hate how all chest contents fall under “Breakdown”, there is no sorting, format etc. 2nd least flawless system
  3. Playtests. oh right, playtests. Lets start with probably dumbest thing i have ever seen on servers in any game: Maps cant go public without… public playtests… Wow! Ofc you can playtest map with zmap builders only (probably), but at any given moment on average there are like 2 that are ready to play. So why admins cant add like playtester role in order for those people participate in map ptests, zombies versions playtests, maybe new mechanics, etc. No those playtests have to be public in order to… go public.
  4. Release. Welp, you have done playtests and you think that map is decently balanced. But Durtle doesnt think so. He will do dozens of runs just to balance everything… incorrectly (sometimes).

Creating map is very long process, and not really enjoable. If you have special map concept, i bet, it wont make it to full release. Current system is doomed to have similar maps, that are balanced for 1 person which takes it so seriously. I remember looking at Delivery, and seeeing that while weaps were balanced, it was hardly decored. Opposite maps, like Candyland or Untimaly stagnate for years.

Now i want to read your opinion

6 Likes

I think that if you would require A+++ deco skills that would be gate keeping unless people are willing to give tips to the builder and if the builder is willing to take those tips it is OK.

This can be hardly changed

I am thinking about applying to Zombie manager (only to help Tejdxa with the map moves and checks so that Tejdxa can code more).

A sorting under breakdown would be (5.x numbers):

1. Where does the player spawn
  2. Where are the mob spawns
  3. Where are the class chests
  4. Where is the HP chest
  5. Where is the mana chest
  6. Where is the armor chest
  7. Where are the accessory chests
  8. Where are the weapon chests
  9. Where are the ammo chests
  10. Item contents (class → chest type #X → tier table)

I agree that there should be a play tester role, so that the tests go more public. Often people see in map builders a “cult” that is closed.

There should be also asked the testers and in a vote if many think that that is balanced then it should be OK.

5 Likes

no but i want maps to be at least fully texturised, that is not hard to do at all

i never blamed dg for that. That is just harsh piece of reality

i would love to see you there

this can be put in (i forgor how its called, it is layout of new post when you are creating it in submissions or player reports)

no i think that tests should be only limited to some category of people who applied for testers role, and, obviously, zmanagers and mbuilders

and they shouldnt be soooooo strict, it is not rocket engineering and you can update map if you see serious flaw later anyways.

Generally, i created this post in order to see whether people are unhappy with current system like me

5 Likes

Both building and balacing is fun, although setting up zchest are just extremely boring, I often go to a vc or listen to musics when I do that. I just think zombie map creators need to abuse more about weapon modification, there are countless interaction with certain weapons and tons of projectiles. What really dissapoints me, is a map not modifying any weapon at all, it feels weird when you know what each weapon does without modifications and the gameplay just feels like a normal quick playthrough.

5 Likes

Dimension managers have advantage with world edit, who knows if a futurue revamped build dimension has access to world edit to crew members

6 Likes

What if a crew member abuses world edit to e. g. spam their building 100 times over build or overwrite a foreign building?

5 Likes

They would have to make a command request

6 Likes

it really isnt when you have to consider that you will work on same crap dozens of times. I want to move on from unti and candy, but i cant, durlte isnt moving any new maps, nor am i allowed to have multiple on-going maps. And here everything flows back to problem of slow ptests. But, again, i did this post for opininons

that is not exactly related to OP… Anyways, i like both modded and unmodded so…
(my fav are slightly modded like hs)

6 Likes

I noticed that and realized it was too late to delete it

6 Likes

You might had some troubles with that, both of my maps were tested and made it to public relatively fast

6 Likes

honestly i think my biggest gripe with zombie maps has to do with all the tedious zchest commands. id take like a scratch system to code the chests (wink wink nudge nudge stab stab).

also yeah testing is kinda hard, i think it would benefit if you could have a way to invite the randoms, as in the target audience of these maps

also if zchest commands get less tedious, id say it would open the door to more people using weapon mods

4 Likes

let me spit this out like a disgusting hairball

6 Likes

i mean he is human, we all make mistakes

4 Likes