Will I get banned if i do this?

Right now im talking about friends voting for you, obviously using a bot wouldnt work. My main point is that it doesnt matter whether a friend does it for you, you somehow do it automatically, or you do it manually. This is different from getting rewards from playing the game, where afk/autofarming is bad and unfair.
While its obviously not exactly the same thing and not realistic, pretend that you got a friend to use your paypal/money account to give a site 1$ a day. The site rewards users for giving 1$ to them per day. Would you get banned because youre not doing work? No, because doing work isnt what youre getting rewarded for, its the support youre giving that youre being rewarded for.

3 Likes

On this topic, I noticed that even if you dont vote for yourself when you vote, you’re on a cooldown to vote again. Does voting for someone such as yourself twice across two different devices count as still one vote or two separate ones? I could do some tests to see if youd like but I’d rather not incase I do get banned somehow…

1 Like

Terraria-servers.com probably limits votes to one vote per account each day, and also definitely one vote per ip per day in addition to the first rule.

2 Likes

You get one vote per name.

2 Likes

Alrighty. That’s good. I thought it was potential for an exploit…

1 Like

Now thinking about it, I’ve come with a separate interpretation, and unless Rofle says else, I am convinced that it is okay to have a friend vote for you under your name. However, I don’t think it is okay to vote automatically.

Yes, I do think so.

For voting or donating, you are rewarded for supporting the server, but I also believe “work” is a significant factor as well.

What differentiates donations and votes is that the former method requires you to pay money. Voting is an opportunity to get free rewards, therefore I think “effort” should be put in. Because in this case, you are being rewarded for participation in lieu of paying money.

Both auto-voting and auto-farming subvert systems of measuring participation, so they are both exploits.

It is not clear what constitutes “abuse,” but it is clear that bot-voting is explicitly banned since CAPTCHA is implemented in the voting process. The sole purpose of bot-voting is to automatically vote, and from this, it can be inferred that terraria-servers.com prohibits auto-voting by extension.

3 Likes

I see, so basically your arguement now is that you think the “work” part matters alongside the support factor. I dont really agree but im more satisfied with your reply.

Well, currently voting doesnt really support the server as donating money to the server is very hard/unavailable. However, when monetary donations existed and when they will come back, voting did indirectly support the server.
When you vote for the server, it basically makes it more popular also meaning that more people might play on it. If more people play on it, then that would mean the amount of people donating to the server would increase, and therefore voting indirectly supports the server and gives it a small amount of money.

I agree with what youre saying about bot-voting, even though it doesnt exist.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure Dark-Gaming has always been primarily maintained by Rofle’s own pocket, and as far as I know, the server never needed to rely on the support of others in its maintenance.

Although I’m not a programmer, I don’t think it’d be that hard to develop a bot that automatically votes on terrariaservers.com.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t be too hard. You just need to create a bot that can bypass the Captcha which I’m sure it’s somehow possible

1 Like

You encounter a problem at the first step. How would you create a bot that could bypass Captcha? You would need some type of extremely sophisticated artificial intelligence that doesnt exist yet.

How would you detect what needs to be detected? AI probably can decipher text in pictures and convert it into text, and i think some of the text in the captcha can be selected and copied, so you could get that text, like for example “select only the pictures of trains”. But then how would the bot understand what that means? AI cant understand text or language. Not a single AI in this world can actually understand English or any other language.

After our last problem was solved, lets go on to actually doing the task (like selecting all train pictures). You yourself cannot make an AI that can detect stuff in images, but would it be possible to try and use an AI other people made, since slightly accurate image recognition AI exists? No idea, first would be a big problem to somehow get or use an AI like that. But if even you did that, how would an AI detect a train in a cropped picture thats like 300x200 pixels and humans themselves can barely do it?

Cool, we’ve solved that problem. How would the bot work? Would you constantly have your pc open, wasting power, and the bot would open up google chrome at the start of a new day? Would you have to open up your bot and wait for whats probably a long time for it to finish because of internet loading times, and the fact that computer recognition AI might be very slow? You probably cant do anything while the bots working since you cant use the API to vote for obvious reasons, so you may as well just open up terraria-servers.com and vote yourself rather than go through all this trouble to do something dumb.

(no tl;dr for you) Damn that was long and it was kinda fun learning a little about AI. Correct me if im wrong for anything here.

1 Like

Well, I’ll probably do research about that by myself later. I don’t really feel like writing a refutation for something I have little to no knowledge about. (I feel like I’d be pulling too much out of my ass.)

2 Likes