• WOF

0 voters

7 Likes

did you mean to say pre-hardmode?

8 Likes

Where is deerclops?

6 Likes

Queen Bee is my personal favorite.
The AI isn’t overly repetitive, it’s actually pretty hard in tougher difficulties, it can tank a big sum of damage and it can deal quite a bit of damage at once.
Additionally, it’s one of the few bosses in prehardmode that actually drops useful items. It’s basically a pre-hardmode duke fishron.

6 Likes

I forgot him

7 Likes

I don’t blame you. Deerclops is my least favorite boss in the game lmao

4 Likes

21K or something close to that, on master mode, its almost considerable a hardmode boss that you can fight in pre-hardmode

6 Likes

Deerclops deemed irrelevant, how sad. Oh deer :hah: .

7 Likes

PUN ALERT AHHHH

oh wow, I irrationally laughed at that.

4 Likes

I love Skeletron. The Eye of Cthulhu is my second favourite for being a really good gateway boss in Expert, but it just isn’t quite as varied and interesting and can occasionally be a bit too random for my liking; EoW is pretty eh (it’s a worm boss. woohoo?) and BoC is downright stupid half the time thanks to telefragging; Queen Bee is super easy in Classic / Expert but just gets unfair in FTW / FTWMM, both extra-large and faster than light, which makes the fight absolutely excruciating thanks to repetitive attack patterns and ever-increasing Defense; Deerclops’ range restriction is really annoying to play around if you aren’t melee or summoner and

WoF, while excellently-designed at a first glance, incorporating the tactics of every boss and making for a great challenge to enter HM, also has some of the simplest strats in the game: you run fast to dodge eye lasers, run fast to dodge melee damage, run fast to dodge Leeches and Hungries, run fast to dodge the Tongue, run fast to beat the boss. All you do is run fast and shoot backwards, with maybe a bit of jumping incorporated should one eye line up horizontally with your chaarcter. Fighting it without a hellbridge is super fun and interesting, but practically nobody does that, the boss itself does not nudge you to do that.

Skeletron, however, is very fun to fight in Expert+, so fun that it makes up for his crappy Classic mode fight. Initially, dodging the beefy hand hitboxes is pretty interesting in itself, especially with how well-choreographed the swipes are. You get some of that run-for-your-life-or-die-horribly action with the spin phases, which also function as excellent damage phases (yay, a double-edged sword!).

But the real fun begins once you’ve destroyed a hand, because once a hand is gone, the homing skulls begin. The idea with phase 2 Expert Skeletron is to tightly circle his head so that he can never quite fire a skull at you and the homing stops mattering due to low distance. However, you also need to be ready to immediately begin running once he goes into his spin phase, and it can be tough to get back into the rhythm once he exits the spin, especially if a hand remains. Your circles need to be small and quick and biased slightly downwards, so that he doesn’t float out of reach. It’s really fun to tightly loop around his skull, watching his projectiles just barely miss again and again, then switch out to running and gunning as he goes in for the melee.

But perhaps my favourite part of Expert+ Skeletron is how many ways you can strategise his fight. There’s no single best method; what I just described is very dynamic and requires a bit of movement but less arena and less monitoring HP bars. An alternative strategy would be to slowly reduce the health of each hand before taking them both out at once, then hiding under block-based cover during skull phases (also known as the Yrimir strat), which works better the more control you have over your damage output, and the more time you have to fight.

Or you could run a longer ways away and dodge his skulls as they come at you, giving you additional safety from the melee phase’s knockback-trap instakills (which tend to occur if you aren’t using Gladiator Armour or a good Hook) but force you to deal with the homing projectiles a lot more, which can be hard if you don’t have a good idea of their curve or firerate.

Or you could skip killing one of the hands if you have a lot of DPS and really suck at dodging skulls.

Or you could intentionally wait for daylight before taking out both hands so you can just hoik, even go AFK with certain weapons.

There are so many possibilities and I’m all for it. Bosses where you do more than just dpsing them down and dodging attacks are my favourite bosses, and Skeletron adds to that by constantly (and predictably) switching gears throughout the fight while remaining a very fast-paced battle throughout. I love this thing, and killing it is always a pleasant experience where every death is your fault alone.

3 Likes

My new favorite boss: wall of text.

4 Likes

Heh… I sorta always liked skeletron, my one disappointment was how easily it died in MMFTW with just a boomstick and tungsten bullets and a blizzard in a bottle.

3 Likes

I respect the boss review you just made, i will admit read it all was quite fun.

4 Likes