In recent Discourse updates they’ve added a new sidebar, this is not a per-user setting, so I decided to enable it so people can try it out here.
A few things to notice:
- You can change the categories you see on the sidebar
- You can change the tags you see on the sidebar
- The default page is now ‘Latest’, you can still click on the ‘Categories’ tab to see the old view or click ‘All categories’ in the sidebar
- There’s a + icon next to Community and Messages to create a new topic/message from anywhere
- Some things that used to be in the top-right are now under ‘More…’ on the sidebar
Also, the notification menu (top-right) has been changed as part of the new sidebar.
Topic from meta: Try out the new sidebar and notification menus! - announcements - Discourse Meta
can i set everything as it was before?
No, it seems to be either enable for everyone or disable for everyone. But if you do click the top-left icon (hamburger icon, which is still top-right on mobile) it will hide the sidebar, and you can change your default home page in user preferences to be categories instead of latest
yeah i think this feature is actually a bit more convinient, even if it will take some getting used to
ALSO WHY IS IT CALLED THE HAMBURGER ICON i just learned this now
Rofle… I’m so not used to seeing the “Latest” page whenever I click the Dark Gaming button I’m so used to seeing the Categories when I load up the website. Though a change in some aspects is cool
imo it feels a bit claustrophobic and I’d prefer it if the sidebar was placed more to the left
Since it’s new, you could always reply to the meta post with your feedback