RPG Survival

I have a new great idea for a gamemode. Why don’t we have an rpg style game mode, where we go and hunt enemies, explore the map and have a resource world that resets every day? We can have a platform for housing. I think it would have a flaw though: Too similar to survival. To spice things up, we can have bosses like the ones in zombies, and pvp zones. This gamemode would basically be a mixture of all the others, while still having the normal ones for people who want a simple and basic experience.

Aren’t you suggesting SEconomy survival?

SEconomy survival servers were one of the most common servers out there back then, and now, most of those servers are dead.
The most notable existing example of a SEconomy survival server is Teeria Legends.

Dark-Gaming is running on limited resources, and personally, I wouldn’t it to be spent on SEconomy survival.
From my own experience, most SEconomy servers have a “skinner box” feel to it - a common problem amongst most MMORPGs - and I surmise that this is the primary reason why most of those servers do not last very long.

2 Likes

As far as I can tell, the official SEconomy plugin’s stability is not great with 1.4

2 Likes

Hmm, okay… I tried Teeria Legends, but the map never resets so there are holes everywhere and it is hard to play with them, plus the world is in hm. I will give it another chance though. You know, survival gets boring at some point.

2 Likes

Now, what is a ‘skinner box’? Also, I’ve tried other servers and some to most are unplayable unless you’ve signed up to their community…

1 Like

This a lengthly response. . .

To put it simply, a skinner-box is an apparatus - commonly used in animal experiments - that induces operant conditioning. That is, through punishments and rewards, it conditions you to keep doing the thing that is associated with gratification - to keep you in the box.

Most MMORPGS usually have a system of leveling/ranking, participation rewards, etc that can be compared to this. It can be said that these are tools of conditioning, as you associate certain actions with gratification.
Most disconcerting is how players are rewarded less the more they do the action associated with gratification. (E.g., getting less levels and experience for grinding more, getting less loot-boxes and other rewards for more event participation, etc.)
When getting less for doing more, it can be said that some pay money in order to compensate for the lack of reward.

The common argument is that “MMOs use conditioning to keep you playing long after you’ve stopped having fun.”

I know that the term is blatantly stigmatizing. Some could argue that games do not condition us whatsoever, and that even though delayed gratification is an effective method to extend playtime, it itself does not make a skinner-box.

TL;DR

A skinner-box conditions you to continue doing something associated with gratification. Some claim that many MMORPGs do this.

3 Likes