PvP Controller - Weapon Bans and Modifications

So Anti-PvP Weapons got an upgrade, and has now been renamed to PvP Controller; it can now modify weapons as well as pvp-ban them. The first set of changes is with damage, right now projectiles are able to be modified and soon so will weapons (which can encompass a range of projectiles, like guns). Further experimentation will be done with projectile speed and the use of buffs/debuffs.

You will know if the weapon you’re using has modified damage as there will be a purple number. This purple number, if it appears, overrides the red/orange ones. In the following image, you can see the purple numbers:

135 and 199 are the real damage, the other numbers are client-sided.

PvP Manager now viewable. This has the most recent changes that you can view yourself: https://t.dark-gaming.com:8082/dashboard

Updates:
27th November

• Banned weapons now only stop damage for their own damage, not other weapons
  • RNG variation removed from weapon damage. This ensures the playing field is always fair.
  • All damage is now calculated server-side to avoid client-side damage alterations
1 Like

Chlorophyte shotbow is pending…
just like my helper application
cries ;-;

Also the Aqua Scepter could be an interesting PvP weapon if buffed.
Along with the Spectre Staff, it could be cool if buffed properly :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have a couple of suggestions to make interesting or simply amazing looking guns useful. Those values are rough estimates and might (more likely will) need further balancing, so feel free to discuss.

1. Revolver. Base damage of 20, increased to 550% (110 total). Some sort of a transition between Sniper Rifle and Handgun.

2. Handgun. Base damage of 17, increased to 550% (90.1 total). The true classic.

3. Clockwork Assault Rifle. Base damage of 19, increased to 500% (95 total). The best candidate for a ranger’s standard issue weapon. Since only one bullet per burst can hit the target, the damage is a bit higher in comparison to other guns.

4. Uzi. Base damage of 30, increased to 270% (81 total). Not too fast to be overpowered like S.D.M.G., but not too slow to not be an automatic weapon at all.

5. Sniper Rifle. Remove the Webbed debuff (even 1 second is a crippling disability that makes you a target practice) and reduce damage of 185 by 20% (148 total).

6. Shotgun. Base damage of 24, increased to 500% (120 total). Cannot work properly because only one pellet can hit, so the damage is ramped up considerably.

7. Grenade Launcher. Base damage of 60, increased to 250% (150+rocketdmg total). Hitting anything that is not stationary with this thing is incredibly hard and should be rewarded.

8. Rocket Launcher. Base damage of 50, increased to 220% (110+rocketdmg total). Ever-so-slightly easier to use than Grenade Launcher, but is just as slow.

9. Flamethrower. Base damage of 27, increased to 300% (81 total). Should actually be a terrifying weapon now, not just an annoying tool that inflicts an annoying debuff.

2 Likes

I think it’s worth saying that I intend to split this up so that it has damage ratios per class rather than global. By doing this, it can create distinct use of weapons that can suit a wider range of people, rather than what we have now. For example, as far as I can see, the mage weapons are useless with mage armor, since you can do more damage and take less damage by using melee armor, thanks to the buffs it has.

Of course, it’s possible to shove the mage armor buffs (which don’t appear in pvp atm) into a mechanic for the mage armor to make it better, but then there’s more depth again that dilutes the perspective on balance slightly.

Still, I do think that we could apply certain buffs to make a certain class more capable, and not just buffing damage.

1 Like

“5. Sniper Rifle. Remove the Webbed debuff”
Yeah no, that just brings it back to its former glory.
1 second may be a bit too much, but it NEEDS that nerf. I think something more like 0.6s webbed debuff may be a bit better, but I have yet to fully experiment with it.

1 Like

Either way, it is unusable in its current state. Something should definitely be done about it.

1 Like

Tons of things in this update are unstable. Chain Guillotines kills insanely fast. Nothing is permanent atm Kero, so cool yer jets

1 Like

Just wanted to be sure it isn’t a permanent decision. Being stuck in the air defenseless can ruin any weapon.

1 Like

Don’t you think some of the weapons got buffed to much? Isn’t that gonna ruin pvp for others?

1 Like

Any change will ruin something for someone. If people don’t like it then there’s every other server in existence to use the old pvp. What we’re doing here is creating a new pvp for the game, with balance in mind, unlike old pvp; way more benefits here than negatives, and much more likely to keep people around who previously hated (or disliked) pvp because of the limited amount of weapons, or specific areas that could never be improved.

1 Like

Also, the changes aren’t final at all. Some things are still very very strong and need much nerfing. However, right now Rofle is focusing on other things. In due time it will be balanced more properly!

1 Like

Use time on Sniper Rifle needs to be corrected: it greatly exceeds 0.7 seconds (it is something like 1.5-2 seconds) in reality due to lag and right now it punishes for missing way too much, especially considering how you can’t even grapple or switch to another weapon.

1 Like

Corrected it. It’s increased by 700ms; the only one in that entire list that uses by instead of to.

1 Like

I think removing the usetime penalty and decreasing the base damage to 125 would be a better alternative. Right now the use of the rifle is not justified by anything, not even as a first shot in, as regardless of whether you land it or not you will be unable to use other weapons (which is probably the most annoying part) and will get exposed for long enough to get screwed by other high-velocity stuff such as Heat Ray or Ice Bow. It is just too irritating and punishing to use, and the whole point of this update is to make each weapon fun to wield.

Alternatively, the speed penalty can be reduced to match the use time from 1.2 and the current damage can be kept.

1 Like

There’s still a lot more changes to come. What we have right now is on hold due to the current way of providing changes to the weapons being unable to scale properly. Also, did you modify your message? It’s possible to post a new one after so many days passing from your old one to not only bump the thread but also to enable your message to have a more recent timestamp to tag along with its meaning.

1 Like

Shadowflame Knife should either be nerfed or ditched altogether. It turns FFA into annoying bullet hell very quickly.

1 Like

We have a lot of changes to come, and we’re aware of the current balance issues.
Right now, the dashboard to easily edit weapon values is being created.
So it’s just a matter of patience.

1 Like

Well, since stat modding is now easier, here is a slightly reviewed version of my old post.

1. Revolver. Base damage of 20, increased by 450% (110 damage). A less powerful and faster version of Sniper Rifle without a scope.

2. Handgun. Base damage of 17, increased by 450% (90 damage). Might be a useful all-around weapon for both close and middle range.

3. Clockwork Assault Rifle. Base damage of 19, increased by 350% (85 damage). Only one bullet per burst can hit the same target, hence the seemingly unreasonable damage.

4. Flamethrower. Base damage of 27, increased by 270% (100 damage). A more accurate gun equivalent of Hex Doll.

No idea what to do with Grenade/Rocket Launcher yet, this matter seems to be complicated. As always, those values are somewhat broken and are a rough estimate; they still need a proper field test.

2 Likes