Pirate Map changes

Yes, I am writing this out of frustration after accidentally summoning one of those from misclicking.

In short, the invasion brings much more bad than good: it has a very small amount of quality drops, and the pirates are extremely annoying to deal with due to their tankiness and huge quantities, paired with ranged attacks that can easily slaugher people at spawn, or at oceans. The map drop is rather uncommon, making it easy to call in those 20 minutes of pure irritation, either out of cluelessness, misclick, or trolling.

Natural pirate invasion spawning should be untouched, since there are people who want some of its trinkets, but the maps themselves should either be completely unusable, have a confirmation message that you’re about to use to which you reply with a command (/invconfirm?), or implement a voting system after using it so that players can respond to it with /yes or /no; this could also work for frost/pumpkin moons.

Let me know what you think

Despite this being a critique of the Pirate Map, I more so find this a critique on the accessibility of event summoners.
There have been arguments put forth against the Solar Tablet, Snow Globe, Pirate Map, etc; this is nothing new. And only the Snow Globe has been banned, because the event yields no good items, it is too common a drop from the Present, and Frost Legion enemies can grief protected regions.

Personally, I do not think the Pirate Map should be banned. It’s an uncommon item, and I think your overstating its lack of rarity.
The item only has a 1% drop rate, and most players do not typically farm nor have a reason to farm around the Ocean.

Besides this, the event does yield intrinsically useful loot, and there are those who seek such items. To preclude the ease of summoning is not fair to those players. I think they should have the option to use the Pirate Map.
Resigning players to the chance of a random pirate invasion will force them to rely on the exceedingly low chances of it actually happening.

I think banning the Pirate Map is one extreme solution to a petty inconvenience.
Pirate enemies are annoying and tanky, but this is a common trait of most Hardmode enemies and events. To me, it seems as if the main problem is its accessibility in Hardmode.

This is an appealing suggestion some; however, its actual development and implementation is up in the air.

Concerning Survival mechanics that enforce the rule of the majority, I controversially dislike them and strongly believe in the predominance of individualism within Survival. A mix of cooperation and competitiveness makes Survival interesting and fun - and I believe this does include the disregard of others’ consent.

I have not played Survival in months, so perhaps my sentiments lack credibility or are based on obsolescent customs and notions.

I will like to see to the thoughts of Survival regulars on this matter.

3 Likes

I respect the necessity of cooperation in survival world, especially with how important this is due to the extreme difficulty ramp, but an entire invasion is something that has most of the harsh effect on newer players who are still in process of adapting to the Master mode world. During that invasion, they’re pretty much locked at the spawn, dying repeatedly every single time in one hit, should group of pirates start flocking underneath.

Logically most of them would warp away, but most of them are either clueless (no offence), or want to specifically do something near spawn. Other solution would be for geared players to slaughter them, yet it’s a charitable act that often requires their decision on whether they think it’s worth spending time on that, since most of them they’d rather be busy grinding or doing other things than sweeping the floor for other players. From what I’ve observed, there aren’t many participants in all of that clearing, especially those who have the power to do it quickly.

I agree that the suggestion to entirely lock them out of use was pretty hasty, I felt irritated when first writing this. However, I still feel like there should be some sort of warning for the summoner before calling the event, or a voting system.

3 Likes

Only players with Crew can use summoners.That in itself is good enough.
In past cases when event summoners have been excessively used, the user gets promptly banned or reprimanded.

It is true that not all geared players are interested in defeating the pirates and that newer players will have more difficulty dealing with it, however I do not think this warrants the banning of the Pirate Map.

Also, the room directly at Spawn is situated so that it should be a safe space during a Pirate invasion.

4 Likes