Ok I need to ask this...

Ples don’t hate meh for this… but I think I should be promoted to Moderator.

I think some might take me as a greedy, impatient kid requesting it like this and not just waiting for the promotion, but I am sure it doesn’t take more than a whole year to become a Moderator. I would understand to take that much time for a person that only helps/guide people on the server, make few reports of players that break the rules and that takes breaks frequently.
In my case however, I have been doing and still doing all the primary stuff for Moderator several times and I have been very active even during school cough in weekends cough. Even that can’t take longer than a year to become a Mod, in my opinion. But I have also changed and added big stuff to PvE as a PvE Manager: the PvE Lobby, the Moon Lord arena and the DD2 arena. I’m also willing to add and change more stuff, not only in PvE, but for future gamemodes too, like: Ant Wars and Terraria Fortress -not going to talk about them here, if you want to know stuff about them, ask me. That is probably going to take me a while to build though kek.
But, I did something bad in the past that probably has something to do with this and I’m really not proud that I’ve done that. Basically, I cheated the system, others did that too and we pretty much just made Rofle reset the whole DTP, by that I mean everyone’s inventories. I’m really sorry about that. And it’s also my fault that I’ve told others about the exploit, so I think it might be my fault for Crane and Solar getting banned. Sorry, Crane and Solar.

Anyway, I may seem pretentious by requesting this, since I already have a fancy title and permission to use some Administrator commands in PvE, but it’s just the fact that I think I should really get a promotion and that I’m really confused why it takes so long. Don’t worry, I don’t hate you for this, Rofle k.

2 Likes

The reason it takes so long is because of the significant amount of power difference between Helper and Moderator. Helper gets borderline no commands added. Moderator gets a LOT to work with, including ban, kick, and mute, so it makes sense that Rofle would take a lot of time and do a lot of evaluation when he picks his staff. He doesn’t want to have abusive staff. Most Terraria servers nowadays have lots of staff members, but almost all of them get complaints or have staff who are controversial because of their actions. Rofle does not want Dark Gaming to be like that, which I think makes a lot of sense. Be patient Victor, and keep working at it, and you will be rewarded

2 Likes

Well Vic, all this PvE and PvP Manager stuff is about segmentation; letting people handle their own thing. It’s not easy to see but chat is it’s own thing too. Managing chat is essentially dishing out punishment to those who break its rules who misuse it. This is what a Moderator does. They also manage player behaviour, such as taunting people in build by standing where the person wants to place blocks. When you bundle it up, Moderators are essentially Player Behaviour Managers.

In the entire past, none of this has been possible or applied in such a real way. As, PvE Manager you don’t control one square section of the map, you have the entire map and (almost) server to yourself. This new way of operating is to give power where power is due. PvP Managers can do what they want to and in PvP, and request what they need from the others who can provide it (currently just me), given they are acting within the rules, as those Moderators (Player Behaviour Managers) will still need to deal with others, including managers. Of course, all decisions are still subject to intervention by me, which essentially makes me the Manager of Managers.

Furthermore, this structure isn’t wholly complete, as permissions are still shared between Dimensions, and once that is resolved, the correct power can be given to those who require it. That’s why when you asked me about your Moon Lord Arena, I didn’t say anything like, “doesn’t look like what I had in mind; how about you do…”. I just told you it matters what the players think, because they are the one using it. That’s the same thing I think when I make something, like the Rift spawn. While not entirely pretty, it seems in most cases, even when someone questions what to do, they manage to find out by themselves quickly anyway.

Moreover, the system doesn’t go Helper, Moderator and Admin anymore. Those were roles for one single server. It’s different now. We have Build, Items, Rift, Special Item, Zombies, PvP and PvE. Given all the development going on and pretty much everything else, it’s time that other people are given the chance to take the reins on developing these Dimensions into and maintaining high quality. Blanc and Lord Avery now control PvP, you now control PvE and I still remain control over all others. The hope here is to go further and give people control over some of the others too, but it has to be their choice to do it, because they need to be dedicated to doing just that like they are me, with no expectation to simply give up as though someone else will take care of it.

Given this progression, it might be expected that Player Behaviour Managers or Moderators as most people would call them, will exist as its own thing too. It’s not entirely clear at this point if we have enough people dedicated enough to realise this structure, so it’s possible that managers of dimensions may be given permissions to deal with players in their own dimension appropriately in accordance to the rules.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t abusive staff tell others to follow their orders saying “I’m staff so do that” - with the exception of players that break the rules - or sabotage the server with World Edit commands let’s say, and just type two commands: //all then //cut, those two executed in order would basically erase a whole dimension. I have WE commands in PvE and I haven’t done anything bad with them, I haven’t given others orders adding the fact that I’m staff and they should obey me. So, I guess I’m not an abusive staff.

I also think WE is more influencing than Mod commands, I know I only have World Edit access in PvE, but it’s still harder to fix something like //all //cut than just /ban (player name), since someone with the power would have to somehow bring the whole PvE back with “/history” commands, I believe, and then re do the [SC] commands on signs, where banning and muting can be fixed with just /unban and /unmute. At least that’s how I think it works. But Rofle gave me access to WE commands still. That is another thing that was confusing for me.

Though, I didn’t know the staff pathway was completely changed. I thought “(blank) Manager” was just an optional rank for people willing to manage a particular thing in the server. So I guess this solved my confusion.

What is the new staff path btw?

2 Likes

Badge system still applies. Staff Assistant will assist particular Managers, such as PvE Managers. When they complete the requirements they can then become a Manager like the one they are assisting.

Also on the note of abusive staff, you forget that people will sometimes hold out on what they want to do until they have the absolute power to do it or they get into a disagreement. It’s important to have people that know how to stop themselves from using their power for personal reasons.

3 Likes