Nerf Tome of Infinite Wisdom (Right-Click Attack)

A Tome of Infinite Wisdom nerf was suggested on September 2, 2021; it was rejected, and here is the reason why:

Recently, it has actually been buffed on January 9, 2022:

pvpmanager.dark-gaming.com/weapon/3852

Personally, I don’t think it should be nerfed, as it scarcely sees any usage in PvP – or at least under my purview. Compared to many mage weapons, it’s not exactly stellar in terms of damage, mana usage, projectile speed, use-time, or reliability. It belongs to a niche of weapons that requires the player to dedicate themselves to a glass-cannon playstyle, because these types of weapons simply aren’t all that effective in any other type of loadout.

The Tome of Infinite Wisdom’s base damage is 55. For reference, the Laser Rifle has a base damage of 64 and the Heat Ray has a base damage of 46 – and both of them have a faster projectile velocity and a quicker use-time than both of the Tome of Infinite Wisdom’s attacks. The only reason why it even has potential is because the large, decently quick, wall-piercing projectile of its secondary attack that has a high damage cap and falls toward and travels along the ground. Because of this, I posit that most players use the Tome of Infinite Wisdom as an area coverer, a wall-piercer, and a ground-sweeper.

As of now, there are plenty of other weapons that are simply more effective at covering a wide area without requiring specialization. An infamous example of this is the Tsunami, which has the boasts projectiles that can reliably sustain itself in almost any direction. As a weapon that covers area, the Tome of Infinite Wisdom is a poor man’s Tsunami, especially since its projectile slopes downward which limits its effectiveness to only a specific circumstance where the opponent is below you. Even then, there are plenty of weapons which can do this better while also providing themselves to more general usage.

In regards to it having a wall-piercing projectile, there are plenty of other weapons that pierce walls and are more reliable at dealing a substantial amount of damage to an opponent such as the Stellar Tune and the Solar Eruption. Not only that, but the fact that the Tome of Infinite Wisdom has a falling projectile is a liability when it comes to its use as a wall-piercer, since it doesn’t have the omni-directional capabilities of other weapons of the same niche.

As players get better as PvP, they start avoiding the ground. Because of this, the Tome of Infinite Wisdom’s ground-traveling projectile really only poses a threats to the uninitiated. Even then, there are many far superior weapons that can reliably deal damage to opponents on the ground.

Simply put, I believe the opportunity cost of using the Tome of Infinite Wisdom is too high. It can be an effective weapon if you debilitate yourself by sacrificing both your survivability and the effective capability of other non-magic weapons; but this in itself is a passive, indirect nerf to using the weapon.

7 Likes