More Basic Zombies Lobby Types

Can we get more basic lobby types for zombies? Not just game changers like hardcore or rapid.

Since its mostly just small changes, players should be allowed to join these through the main zombies portal in Gamemodes.

Implentation: extensions of /join zombies, like /j z -r -hc
Lobbies with these tags can be joined via main portal.

Map Rotation Tags

These tags will create lobbies with custom map rotations, as opposed to the current default.
These will likely be mutually exclusive.

-brutal
Map rotation only includes difficult maps

-classic
Map rotation only includes older maps (pre-Lunar)

-dp
DP maps only
…once zombies economy gets updated this can be set to high DP maps only

-trending
Map rotation only includes frequently voted maps

-uncommon
Map rotation does not include frequently voted maps

Feature Tags

These tags alter gameplay in minor ways.

-delayed
After each game, intermission lasts 60 seconds, but decreases to 20 once a player uses /vote

-large
Increased player cap.

-r5
Games start on round 5

-small
Lobby with reduced player cap (7?)

-unjoinable
Use to join an unjoinable lobby (past round 3 or full)

I would also like to manually join lobbies by ip, but because thats already implemented and staff-restricted I dont think we will see a change.

Outlier

-restricted
Maps not in rotation cannot be voted.

• A command like /j z -dp -restricted would be a cool way to bring the zombies DP farmers together, because right now public lobbies are flooded with easy maps with no DP reward, leading farmers to isolate and make seperate lobbies, or simply not play zombies.

• -restricted in particular could increase map variety by banning slow/common maps.

• May require additional features to help all players reach desired maps. Some kids just want to play endless Cryptic. This is a start, however.

Let me know what you think of these tags, the concept in general, and if any additions to the list should be made.

You can already join an unjoinable lobby if it’s past round 3 and someone invites you. When it’s full… why do you need this?

4 Likes

I see no point in these. You can just vote for them if you want to. Dedicating two lobby types to them is a bit overkill

Afaict, the voting feature is rarely used at the moment, these two would serve no use currently

I don’t see the point of making this a flag, if you do want this you can create a separate suggestion to add it to the base game.

Again, I don’t see the point in this. 12 is already a pretty big number. There’s no point in lobbies bigger than that. Mainly because of performance issues(for the players)

What would be the point of these

imo this is pointless. If a map is popular enough for it to be voted, the likely issue is the map design, not the system.

6 Likes

I think the -dp one is good, that would be really useful.

3 Likes

Agree with mado, i like the idea of the -dp since sometimes when you want to get dp, feels bad voting for some hard maps, and ruining other players experience
aboou the others i don’t think it would be used too much,or have a lot of use in practice uses
(and also that would just fill the use of lobbies,that by the way is pretty limited alredy)

4 Likes

I don’t think these lobbies would be public (they function like hc/rapid lobbies - pseudo-private as I call it) so it wouldn’t be a solution to “ruining other players experience”. There are, currently, a handful of DP maps anyways and you can always make/enter a private lobby to vote freely for whatever DP map you’d like to play in.

Speaking of which, most of these utility lobbies would outshine private lobbies. After round 3, you’d just have regular private lobbies with these weird restricting perks. If they were to be public lobbies then they’d sever the freedom of choice or challenge the rest of the lobby expecting regular and common maps.

One last thing: if someone knew to create these lobbies, they’d be able to vote for their desired map, be aware of what DP maps there are or at least be aware of which maps are “slow/common”; all things that really limit these lobbies’ usage. Maybe an addition to /arena list could be suggested for it to list which maps give DP and are “trending” etc. instead.

4 Likes

Is there a way to edit post? I thought I saw an option and clicked it but it seems to have dissapeared. Anyways I already revised my request and added important information so here it is again.

Update:

Changed intro, added 2 sections, removed some tags.
Added section Joining Lobbies and Justifications
Removed -brutal, -r5, -small, -unjoinable
Added -random
Appended -id

Can we get more basic lobby types for zombies? Not just game changers like hardcore or rapid.

The point of these is that, in theory, it wouldnt take much effort to add but would reward experienced TDG players.

Since its mostly just small changes, players should be allowed to join these through the main zombies portal in Gamemodes.

Implentation: extensions of /join zombies, like /j z -r -hc
Lobbies with these tags can be joined via main portal, or be semi-private like existing modes.

Map Rotation Tags

These tags will create lobbies with custom map rotations, as opposed to the current default.
These will likely be mutually exclusive.

-classic
Map rotation only includes older maps (pre-Lunar)

-dp
DP maps only
…once zombies economy gets updated this can be set to high DP maps only

-trending
Map rotation only includes frequently voted maps

-uncommon
Map rotation does not include frequently voted maps

Feature Tags

These tags alter gameplay in minor ways.

-delayed
After each game, intermission lasts 60 seconds, but decreases to 20 once a player uses /vote

-large
Increased player cap.

-restricted
Maps not in rotation cannot be voted.

Joining Lobbies

Only functions with existing lobbies.

-random
Join a random lobby, in any gamestate.

-id
Staff can join any lobby at any time, why not players too?

Justifications

Some of these suggestions attempt to address different problem with zombies

alternate map rotations

This will add flavor to lobbies when no map is voted. These could be randomly sprinkled in with vanilla lobbies created via portal. Bonus points if you can join at any round via commands.

Also, just because we dont like certain maps doesnt mean we always know what map to pick.

-restricted

If the lobby is -restricted to a custom map rotation, then I will never have a complaint about what map is picked. Many dedicated players just want DP maps too, and this helps them.

A command like /j z -dp -restricted would be a cool way to bring the zombies DP farmers together, because right now public lobbies are flooded with easy maps with no DP reward, leading farmers to isolate and make seperate lobbies, or simply not play zombies.

Consider that most players can hardly finish 1 long game, DG fan or not.

-id

When your in gamemodes, there is no way to select a map, you just have to get lucky with the portal, start and stall a round 1 lobby until players join, or hope your friends are online to invite you instead.

Additionally, you cannot message players in-game from outside a lobby dimension.

Personally I would love to hop into a lobby on round 9 if its on a map like Shadow’s Descent or Lunar Mineshafts, or has 10 players, but there is no way to interact with these lobbies without an insider helping you.

-delayed

This happens to my parties with Siimon and Misha alot, we always forget to pick a map in time and have to reset. Sometimes we also sometimes panic pick a map that we realize not all of us want to play.

Some extra time would be appreciated, but does not belong in the base game where people dont always vote.

-large (semi-private)

Lobbies with lots of players can be less stable, but increased caps are still wanted on occassion. It could be interesting for discord events.

-random and -id (again)

Let the players decide when its fun. When its not, they’ll go somewhere else.

Trailing Thoughts

Not all of these need to be implemented, especially at once. If just a few could be packaged with an update would be nice.

3 Likes

The information you have might be misleading. In large or maxed lobbies, it always seems like someone picks a map. Theres been multiple cases where I did not recognize any familiar players in the lobby, but there would be 4 or more different players voting a map (and not even the same map).

I think the statistic is scewered because of small parties of 1-3 ending the game on round 5 or sooner. If they voted an easy map, they wouldnt be grinding through short games, and the lobby would fill before round 4, therefor the players that can vote do so infrequently.

Thats my theory atleast.

Wait, if I quote myself is that bad-
Tldr Disproportionate voter/non-voter representation

3 Likes

Posts older than 2 days can’t be edited

This can possibly go against future policies for matchmaking

I suggest this should be in a different suggestion. Whatever the reason was there was definitely a reason only staff can do it.

2 Likes

Even if the voting feature is used, I highly doubt the data set is large enough to be considered “unbiased”. Also, again, dedicating two lobby types to this is overkill

2 Likes

Personally I see no point in this. Off the top of my head the only map not in rotation but isn’t votable is Shadow’s Descent. It’s unlikely someone will vote for it, even if the map gets picked, people will just jump into lava anyway

This is irrelevant to the flag. You can’t even see the map while in gamemodes.

Anyway there is a separate suggestion for that:

This is specific to Zombies, this applies to other dimensions too. It doesn’t justify allowing you to join lobbies. If you do want it, I suggest creating a separate suggestion

Lobbies past round 3 are intentionally locked because new players are less likely to adapt fast enough. Again, this is completely unrelated and doesn’t justify adding this flag

I don’t get what you mean, if could be bumped to 30 seconds as a compromise if you want.

The main and leading reason I’m opposed against these is because they can be either added to the base game or are unnecessary. But also because of how they work. Each unique lobby option spawns a completely different lobby, and by extension, a completely different server/dimension. /j z -r -hc can’t join a lobby created with /j z -r -e. That’s justified because they are very drastic changes to the lobby. However, most of these changes are small and fit more in custom lobbies

4 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by this, people who uh, know what they’re doing always vote in every game for whatever they want.

I don’t think new players would use these commands, though.
Again I think the best one here is the -dp one lol

2 Likes

Overall, lobby flags are mainly reserved for major changes such as Hardcore, Rapid and Expert. These small changes are more fit in Custom Lobbies or in the base game itself

As of now, the state of this suggestion is rejected. I’ll leave this open for 3 more days in case anyone wants to add anything

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.