Interesting tiles in Terraria Otherworld trailer

I was watching the otherworld trailer the other day and noticed that the tiles in that game seem to have textures larger than a single block. Notice in these images that they have patterns repeated over a much larger area than a single block:

I think I would know roughly how to implement this myself kind of, but does anyone know of other 2d sandbox games out there that do this? And what do people think of this over the normal way that we see in Terraria?

7 Likes

it’s likely a very large connected wall/block pattern.

5 Likes

if this is referring to center blocks not being the same (i aint smart enough to decipher what this means) then i would think of geometry dash’s 2.1 blocks (i will get images in a moment)

(without grid)

(with grid)

notice how the pattern isnt one block being tesselated. but multiple. this is probably not it but im just putting this out just in case

edit-under further inspection of the otherworld art, ive noticed that i may be right.

notice this pattern of 3 stones
it repeats in the stone alot
(with indicator)

4 Likes

Yes I believe it’s a texture (image) that’s repeated, but the one thing your image of geometry dash lacks is borders like:

Which I think is more interesting than just hard edges where the image is cut off.

7 Likes

forgot to mention it but gd has rough edges too, just didnt get them

6 Likes

Interesting because that’s on the outside of the area, but in Terraria the borders are part of blocks on the outside. In gd can you also have the middle block empty with borders on the inside?

7 Likes

technically yes, but it only seems to make a clean pattern if its the 4 blocks in a 2x2 square. The Green inside edges are cleaner then the red ones. hard to explain it (you can make the red ones seamless, but it looks warped and distorted)

4 Likes