Gamemodes Lobby v2.1.0

Changes:

• The blue joining messages (in a match) now show up as “{Player} is joining…” to make it clear that the blue message is not the same as the yellow message
  • There is now a displayin the top-right when in intermission in the gamemodes dimension
  • More styling has been applied to /inlobbies
  • Maximum lobby count is 14 instead of 10 (for now)
  • Fixed an issue where the /inlobbies command would only show up to 9 lobbies
  • /leave now teleports you to the spawn if you do it while in intermission in the gamemodes dimension
  • Join/leave messages in the gamemodes dimension are now disabled
  • Intermission for staging lobbies will be skipped when the server is ready

It is to be noted that recently (unannounced Gamemodes Lobby v2.0.0) the Gamemodes dimension itself now has partial support for being patched live without interfering with running lobbies. This is only possible when it is not a core service update (this one was a core update). For those that are interested there are 3 main parts to Gamemodes as a whole:

• TSL - the server software
  • Overlord - the lobby manager (aka the master lobby)
  • Zombies/other - Gamemode lobby server

TSL
Cannot yet be updated without a restart which kills all lobbies. These are applied rarely because they disrupt everyone playing gamemodes.

Overlord
Can now be updated without killing lobbies, except when it relies on a TSL update. In some cases certain updates are only applied to new lobbies (such as certain styling updates or information updates for /inlobbies)

Zombies/other
Gamemode lobby servers can be updated without closing any lobbies or restarting anything, but the update is only available for new lobbies.

11 Likes

Is there a reason for this? It makes it a bit difficult to see when friends or people I want to invite to a game join the gamemodes lobby, since I have to do /who every few seconds to check when they arrive.

3 Likes

I assume join/leave messages were removed because you could see a player-list in the HUD anyway while in a game of Zombies.

This does seem like a valid criticism though.

4 Likes

I meant in the Gamemodes lobby, not Zombies itself, those still have join/leave messages.

Also I couldn’t see that anyway because it isn’t on mobile, although /who still works there (also the HUD of people on your team).

3 Likes

Oh, so you were referring to the 30 seconds of initiation before a lobby is created and a game is subsequently created?

3 Likes

No, I mean the lobby as in the place with the jungle terrain and the pools where the gamemode(s) are. Those join/leave messages don’t show up.

3 Likes

Yes, that is what I was referring to.
There is a 30-second initiation stage before a lobby is created. After the lobby is created, there is a 10-second period before the game begins.

4 Likes

I do admit I preferred having join messages there as well. I am on mobile, but watching the PvP tab constantly when waiting for a friend’s arrival is a bit inconvenient. People don’t chat all that much there either, so join/leave messages (which don’t appear extremely often anyways) generally aren’t going to cover up any messages.

4 Likes

Not this area with the “intermission” sign, I mean the actual place where you join after entering the warp-plate in Rift. Isn’t that known as the gamemodes lobby?

3 Likes

I thought “lobbies” refer to the individual rooms created in which player(s) participate in a minigame.

4 Likes

Yeah, but I was referring to the gamemodes… “hub”? We probably need better terminology for this. What I meant is that join/leave messages don’t show up in the hub either.

3 Likes

To be fair, I believe they are in the same dimension, the first Intermission lobby you see when a lobby is freshly created and the jungle area with the warpplate / area to open Zombies lobbies.

5 Likes

Isn’t the problem that there are no join/leave messages in the gamemodes “hub” alone?

Also, I’m pretty sure the “hub” is just referred to as “gamemodes.”

4 Likes

Yes, that was what I was trying to say originally.

3 Likes

I just realize most of this thread resulted from a misunderstanding about the difference between the terms “lobbies” and “gamemodes.”

Also, I do agree with your point, but I was confused.

4 Likes