Custom lobby maps only

Currently, all maps go submissions → ptest → review → public release. Well, i would love to see ability to create maps, that will skip 2 and 3 step, but instead be released to custom lobbies only. This will create some sort of pg hls (host lobbies), where person with patreon can collect people to play on map that is alr done, but wont be released to all public. For patrons its another reason to buy patreon, for mbs its a way to experiment, win/win.

I will try making 1 subm/day for next 2 weeks btw, starting 1 day ago

4 Likes

While patreon-exclusive maps are a good idea,

I wouldn’t encourage patrons promoting experimental maps as blurs the line of what counts as “official”

4 Likes

I dont think it does, hosts will be entirely maintained by patrons and maps made by mbs, the only contributions by zm/dev is implementing this and moving map, so i dont see issue
Also note: i would love to see that those maps are hosted only by patrons, not played by patrons only

4 Likes

The reason the entire review process is in place is to filter out artifacts and hammer out inconsistencies in maps. This suggestion basically suggests to bypass that and involve the patrons with it.

It is not. That is not a direction I want to see Zombies go in because it’s ridden with problems.

4 Likes

PG’s host lobbies are fundamentally different. They’re mainly hosted by members of staff and internal coordination is possible. Patron members are people that signed up for Patreon, they can do what they want with their perks, but I do not expect them to solely focus on hosting Zombies lobbies. Nor would I want them to, because we can’t coordinate as much since they’re not obligated to; they didn’t volunteer for that role.

I also don’t see how Patron members play into this at all, we already have an appointed team of Map Builders that can do that? And “Mod perms” and “Zombies Host / Representatives” isn’t a role I’m planning on giving out any time soon just because someone gave us money

4 Likes

Ok maybe you have the point, but i dont think this is something way too extreme so i am still in favour of it, but i want to get feedback first, and, since feedback is negative, sure, reject it

4 Likes

Is this suggestion simply the ability to create maps that are intended to not exist in public lobbies, but just for fun in custom ones?

4 Likes

Yes, exactly.
(also to make them not reviewable)

4 Likes

I think this would only be possible if making a map and playing it (via custom) would be different to how it works now, i.e would require no staff members to need to be involved

4 Likes

By staff member, you mean zm or mod? Regardless, what if they want to make custom mode only map

4 Likes

I mean the people that review maps. If it is only for custom then it should not need to be reviewed at all, since it has no effect on the balance of the mode and only playable by people who pay for patreon.

4 Likes

That’s what I’m fine it. However, the original suggestion proposes a system similar to PG’s host lobbies, which are much more public and “official”(they’re usually used for beta testing games or trying out ideas)

4 Likes

Yes, I was thinking more like creative/arcade in some other games where in those, anyone can make a map and publish it to the arcade section, but it is not related to the official way to play and requires custom lobbies.

Of course, since we are resource limited, the best I can think of is that patreon supporters would be the ones that can do it.

But it would all require some system that is automated, which we don’t have and wouldn’t work with the current way we deal with maps (unlike in duel mode, which uses schematics)

4 Likes

No i was thinking that patrons will like collect diff people to play together. Sorry for misunderstanding

4 Likes

Also would recieve significantly reduced or no XP/DP for fairness in case it’s insanely OP

3 Likes

Its custom lobby, it gives nothing

4 Likes