Beetle Scale + Nebula Set Bonus

Simply put, allowing Nebula Armor’s set bonus to function (& be manipulated by the PvP Manager) as well as the Beetle Scale Mail set bonus would be beneficiary in general for more variety and similar.

Rather than Nebula Armor emitting a damage booster item when hitting an opponent, it would function more like Beetle Scale Mail, directly giving the buff to whoever hits the target.
Damage Booster likely will be changed from 15%/30%/45% damage per boost, to 10%/20%/30%.
Life Booster likely will be changed from 3/6/9 HP/s to 2/4/6 HP/s.
Mana Booster likely will be unchanged.
Beetle Scale Mail set bonus likely will not be altered, instead we’ll likely alter the armor itself to give less innate damage, meaning you have to rely on being aggressive to upkeep its damage boosts.

Nebula armor - Terraria Wiki
there is a probability of 1/3 (33.33%) to yield a booster each time a player hurts an enemy

Rather than chance, would this be better implemented as something more predictable, like every x hit or after x damage?

We can’t do that (without desync) unless you want to change the effect entirely to be more like the healing abilities you see in Zombies, where the server does the healing.

8 Likes

Both of these are completely fine with me.
Every 2 or 3 hits (if this could be configurable that’d be helpful) for nebula booster.
What would we be able to configure regarding the healing? Can we have it be healing based on how much damage you’re dealing? Like a % of the damage you deal per hit is returned back to you as healing? Or would it have to be a flat heal regardless of what does damage?

7 Likes

yes

So you are saying to change what would usually be the “life booster” to a life steal effect? In that case would it have 3 stages like boosters do and how would someone know which stage they are on / how long they have left?

7 Likes

I have no idea what I’m necessarily implying or suggesting, I don’t know what options we have available when you say

healing abilities you see in Zombies, where the server does the healing.

I don’t really know what this entails, I’m not familiar with zombies off the top of my head, so I’m simply spitballing ideas that comes to mind.

4 Likes

In Zombies, abilities like Shaman work by the server healing players rather than using any buffs. With server-based healing, you can set any rate or amount or condition you want since it is not tied to how the client works.

So, for example, if you wanted the life booster to be replaced by life steal, we could use the combat text to show the life steal stage. For example, text like Life Steal 1 (like how damage text works) could show above your player when you get to stage 1 life steal, and then during this time, if they hurt players, the server will heal them based on the damage they deal.

4 Likes

Okay, so would it be possible to instead of applying a buff or text to the player, simply heal the player for a portion of the damage they deal every time the life booster is procc’d? (1/3 chance that the 33% drop chance is a life booster).
I think it’d be a simpler/easier idea to just have the life booster give health to the player once and then disappear, at least in my head this is easier. If we can’t give health back to the player based on the damage dealt, then maybe it could just be a flat amount? either way the ability to modify this in the pvp manager would be necessary so I can fine tune it if it’s overblown or underpowered.

4 Likes