Many servers (not even just terraria, many multiplayer games do) have a /report feature in place to report chat messages and such. Dark gaming, at this moment, has no feature in place. Rather, it uses the report on the forums, which is long and tedious, and by the time the report is up, the person that is being reported usually is either gone or turned off their hacks. A simpler way to do this would to be a /report feature, and automatically fill reports to staff. However, this can lead to abuse, such as getting bots to report people (DG has many anti-bot measures already, which is not much of an issue compared to others), and spamming reports to staff, to name a few. I propose some solutions to prevent abuse.
2. Problems and Counter-measures
As previously mentioned, people can spam reports to ping the staff members. To counter this, certain ranks(?) will get certain priority, such as having more playtime/being crew does. Here is a list of suggested priority (and report cooldown):
- Staff (0-second cooldown, can ban and kick people, so that is not really necessary.)
- Patreon members/Discord Boosters (10-second cooldown, highest priority aside from staff/moderators)
- Crew members w/many server hours/trusted (15-second cooldown, 2nd highest priority)
- Newer Crew members (have not obtained it until recently, low server hours outside of PvE) (20-second priority, high priority)
- Members (no crew) (30-second cooldown, medium priority)
- Guest (can login but is not) (1-minute cooldown, low priority)
- Guest (w/out chat privileges) (3-minutes, lowest priority)
In addition, if certain key phrases or words are used (excluding common words such as “the”, “and”, “it”, etc.), by multiple users, more attention will be given. However, abusing /report will result in a warning, which can lower priority or outright disable their ability to /report for a certain time or indefinitely. If more issues persist, an outright ban can occur for that user.
3. More arguments for this feature
The addition of a /report feature would be beneficial for basically everyone, as it would allow many more users who would have previously not known how to report players for hacking, griefing, or anything else that were to happen.
Also, if /report were to be added, a /rules would need to be added (which leads to a link with the server rules on the forums) , and must comply with the rules before chatting, and must verify with a random question in order to get in. I know many of these are strict, but this is DG, I have seen many toxic players curse and use inappropriate names and use cheats to ruin the enjoyment of others.
In short, adding a /report command would be heavily beneficial for the community, allowing others to quickly report players that are in-game and breaking the rules. Any thoughts or changes to this suggestion and other things I missed or other issues that may happen? Please share feedback in the comments.