Add the Day/Night Cycle to PvP as an Event Every Month

TL ; DR: On the last week of every month, enable the daylight cycle in PvP to keep things slightly fresher.

Last night I was just hanging out on Dark Gaming PvP, and it was then I learned about how, IIRC, PvP went down and had to be restarted, and with it that had to be restarted was its tShock plugins. This disabled the time freeze that normally kept PvP at 12 a.m. IGT (as seen and reported), meaning that the flow of time was enabled in PvP. But for the times where it was night in PvP, I had a lot of fun playing it. It was a nice breath of fresh air playing by the day/night cycle as the darkness enabled new and different strategies to emerge simply because of the different environment by time. Of course, its novelty would run off after a while for active players, but… why not have some variety in the way players play? PvP doesn’t have a dedicated ranked mode or anything like that yet, so a little bit of variety I think would go a long way in FFA.

Hence, I propose that, on the last 7 days of every real life month, the flow of time in PvP is restored so that the day/night cycle in - game can occur. The specific timing for when it’s enabled is simply so that people can consistently plan and play around it once they’re aware of it, but still have a decent amount of time to play in the slightly different yet same PvP if they want to.

Yes, I think a ton of people in the game liked it

2 Likes

I agree I’ll vote towards it.

3 Likes

Same I vote cuz I like the nightime

3 Likes

Maybe this could be changed to be a cosmetic option for the player.

The cycle/time could be a client-side change that the player can activate whenever they want to without disturbing any other players.

3 Likes

That would be like /buildmode, right?

Interesting, although I think it would take some of the fun out of playing with others in the night, since they would see day anyway.

2 Likes

I’m… sorry if this comes off as me shooting down your point, but this would kill the entire suggestion, because then it would simply come down to “do I want to disadvantage my vision or not?” The suggestion was to make PvP slightly more dynamic by players playing around the day/night hours to enable different strategies, ex. hiding under the cover of darkness to regenerate or throw someone off.

3 Likes

Not necessarily, some people don’t want to play PvP at high noon nor night. Some may want to play at the evening or morning.

Also, there is a vanilla trick that essentially renders anything at night visible as if it were daytime. A very small minority of players know about this trick.

2 Likes

In regards to this suggestions, I actually really enjoy this and we’ve had a lot of fun during last October when we decided to set it to the evening rather than noon.
That being said, a lot of players definitely weren’t fans of this overal.

The plan regarding this is with duels being eventually moved onto gamemodes, having the time of day rotate on and off would be fun to allow players to mess with whatever they’d like in FFA, and I’d be more than open to allow players to suggest what kind of day/night cycle we can have. Maybe eventually I’ll be able to manually edit it on the pvp manager so we can change it as the year goes by?

I’d like to do something like Sunday~Tuesday @ noon, Wednesday @ evening, Thursday @ night, Friday Saturday @ dawn. Halloween can remain @ a dim lighting for the month of october and I think for christmas this year we’ll set PvP to night time and just illuminate the arena as much as we can.
This is just me speaking on paper, there’s no set plans for any of this, and I don’t know if we’ll ever have the ability to set it based on the day of the week hahaha.
I’m going to mark this as accepted, close the thread, and add it to the developer timetable, I’ll edit this message after I bug Rofle about this if he tells me how realistic any of these features are :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes