Remove Vote Limit

This is fairly similar to Change the voting limit.

There is no real reason for the voting limit in my knowledge, I personally think it just prevents people from showing their support in older suggestions. Even Regulars and Leaders don’t have that many votes. Once someone reaches Member, they should gain unlimited (or a large number such as 100) votes. This would increase the average number of votes per suggestion, but people could still show support for whichever suggestions they would like or dislike/are indifferent toward being implemented.

The vote limit helps limit the number of top suggestions. Otherwise, people would end up voting for many suggestions and then there wouldn’t be a clear consensus about which suggestion is more important. By limiting votes, it means people have to vote for the things they want sooner.

5 Likes

I agree, but there being so few votes means that most people and I are constantly removing votes from previous suggestions that aren’t even that old. Most suggestions that are positively recieved still get less than 5 votes, or even if they got more, over time, people would gradually vote for other things, removing its apparent popularity (for when a moderator or developer looks at it). If the mentioned leaders can see a history of who voted (and use it), this is probably not needed.

This is true, but most people remove their votes anyway; I don’t think I’ve ever kept a vote on something since it was created, purely because I want to vote for other things anyway.

2 Likes

One thing worth mentioning is that many of the highest-voted suggestions in the forums are voted for by users who became inactive on the forums or DG as a whole shortly after voting; one of the reasons those suggestions still have so many votes is that people who voted for them are no longer around to remove their votes in favor of other suggestions. This is partly why those are outstanding even weeks or months after their creation (although it is obviously not the only case in those suggestions’ popularity).

2 Likes

If anything, there are too many votes considering how quickly suggestions are actually being reviewed/worked on. And people going inactive doesn’t invalidate their votes, if a suggestion becomes irrelevant it will just be rejected, otherwise, it doesn’t matter if someone is active or not and voted for a suggestion, it still shows overall interest in particular suggestions. Moving your votes around doesn’t sound like it’s against what I just said. You move your votes because what you want changes, which matches the benefit in favour of votes being limited.

5 Likes

Ok, I understand.

2 Likes

Paradox: I can’t vote this because im out of votes

1 Like