Mado's PVP Suggestions

Not sure if this should go in Suggestions or just Terraria.

Note that all of these are mostly my personal opinion and I don’t expect all or any of these to be changed.

Toxikarp
Change: Buff Max Damage to 110
Reason: Slightly more comparable to other anti-rush(?)

Explosive Trap Staff
Change: Nerf Damage to 0
Reason: Doesn’t even work so it’s just misleading on PvP Manager

Blizzard Staff
Change: Nerf Velocity to 8
Reason: Easily best hit-around-walls weapon, with more spam than others

Paladin’s Hammer
Change: Nerf Max Damage to 85, Nerf Velocity to 12
Reason: Probably one of the best weapons, able to out-damage everything with a fairly high range.

Possessed Hatchet
Change: Nerf Max Damage to 120
Reason: Mostly same as Paladin’s Hammer but less so

Solar Eruption
Change: Nerf Max Damage to 115, Nerf Velocity to 20
Reason: Incredibly fast hit-around-walls weapon, dealing some of the highest damage as well

Pulse Bow
Change: Buff Velocity to 10, Buff Min Damage to 25
Reason: In my opinion, this weapon is a unique one that could be interesting to the meta, but right now is mostly too bad to be viable

Toxic Flask
Change: Nerf Max Damage to 110, Nerf Damage to 75
Reason: This weapon is incredibly spammy when used by teamers or trappers, more annoying than good. I don’t think this change will make it bad enough to be non-viable though.

Most of these are relatively minor changes (5-10 difference).

2 Likes

I would agree with only toxikarp and explosive trap staff, all the others are just nerfing melee for no reason at all or just bad reasons that aren’t even true, pulse bow’s buff won’t do nothing and toxic flask nerf will already make it even more trash as a weapon, i can give more detail on this if you want

3 Likes

I feel like most of the melee nerfs are very slight just to make it so that they aren’t so good enough that everything else is non-viable. What I would like to see in PvP is some kind of meta where everything (to a reasonable extent) is at least a decent match for the absolute best thing, right now if you don’t use all the best weapons you’re almost certain to have a disadvantage.

2 Likes

To this effect, I don’t see the point of nerfing niche weapons that are scarcely used.

3 Likes

not true, i tried weapons that no one uses many many times and they were nerfed for being way too good or were competent. that would only apply to equipment

3 Likes

Uh… which ones? I see all of these used almost all the time (exept Trap Staff, obviously)

2 Likes

Interesting, which ones were these?

2 Likes

You can see my kits, specially the “second hotbar” in my main kit, there’s 2 others that are private though

3 Likes

I’m referring to these weapons.

All of these weapons are niche and rarely used since they’re really only applicable under a certain context. Perhaps some of them are powerful weapons, but only in a particular context.

3 Likes

These are literally the most-used by good players? Pulse Bow and Toxic Flask maybe less so, but I see the others literally every day. Phammer and Blizzard Staff especially are used all the time.

2 Likes

fad doesn’t like them :frowning:

3 Likes

I think u0a also said this, if you feel these weapons are… bad? enough to not be nerfed, then would you rather a suggestion of buffing many other things?

2 Likes

others are already competent enough if you ask me

3 Likes

Yes, the Blizzard Staff is a good weapon, however, only in a particular niche of weapons. It’s not so effective and powerful as to turn the tide of the game. In essence, it’s just a positional weapon that is used to force your opponent to move.

Yes, the Paladin’s Hammer is good, but there are plenty of other effective and commonly used closed-ranged weapons in the same niche. Not only that, but many users of this weapon often use some form of glove as an accessory if they decide to use this weapon, sacrificing an accessory slot. It’s not a spammable weapon and it’s definitely not a universal weapon for all close-ranged circumstances. Nowadays, many different types of closed-ranged weapons are used so I don’t see the purpose of this nerf.

There are many effective weapons in the same niche as this one. Additionally, the Possessed Hatchet has terrible range and is hard to hit already.

This weapon was in its prime in 2020, but it was drastically nerfed. It’s already hard to aim and has a long usetime animation. Also, more people use Stellar Tune than this anyway.

1 Like

My point is that these weapons are so good that almost every good player’s (main) loadout contains them. Filip_P, dgrs, you, Hunetr, Viri, u0a, Lord Goulash (?), Solar, Legolas, crane, they all have these.

From what I’ve seen, this isn’t true; the only person who I know uses Tune instead of this is SolarDeity.

Yes, but it is the best one, I can’t find anything better or on par.

1 Like

Not to diss on these PvPers, but most of them haven’t changed their fighting-styles since last year.
Viri hasn’t changed their fighting-style since 1.3.
dgrs is just mimicking the fighting-style of these players.

2 Likes

Elf Melter, Aqua Scepter, Whips, Terrarian and maybe some others are on par with it

3 Likes

I’ve never tried Aqua Scepter, but every time I try to use Elfinator against Phammer I always lose. I think they have a similar rate of fire (with accessories), but Phammer has 30 higher damage.

2 Likes

That’s on you then, One of my private kits use elf melter instead of phammer and with it i’m able to beat anyone who uses phammer easily

3 Likes

I can attest to this.

3 Likes