Give Guest Command Permissions(/ping, /i)

Give Guests access to /i(PvP, PvE, Build, Zombies) and /ping(PvP, PvE, Build)(Zombies lacks /ping)

Guests have access to these commands in Rift(and other TSL dimensions) but not TShock dimensions

Side note. Why is /ping not available in survival?

4 Likes

/i is a convenience command. I don’t see why we should give it to guests considering that means they are just visiting. If they play more, aka they become a member, they already will have that command. Just another perk of becoming a member.

2 Likes

Yeah, /i is a convenience command, and we lose nothing giving it to guests. It’s much more convenient and consistent to be able to spawn items in PvP or PvE on the go instead of having to go the Rift or Items

2 Likes

Exactly. A reason to register. We lose that if we give it to guest. We shouldn’t be encouraging people to stay a guest. That role is only for people who are just visiting

4 Likes

side note. Is there a reason /ping isn’t available in survival? It’s available everywhere else (except gamemodes)

3 Likes

Our current method modifies an inventory slot.

3 Likes

Oh that makes sense. Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

Side note, I believe you can Send RemoveOwner on Item Index 400(Index 400 is reserved for requesting new items) to make it available in survival

Edit: wrong reply, sorry

2 Likes

Side note, I believe you can Send RemoveOwner on Item Index 400(Index 400 is reserved for requesting new items) to make it available in survival

Edit: Replied to wrong person, sorry

4 Likes

Because of Rep Mode, there’s a lot of players who can’t register. Some stay for a while, while others leave after their first visit. I believe some would desperately want to become members, but they can’t because of issues with their IP. These people are stuck in between because they’re not visitors nor members. There’s also an increasing number of these people

While we can’t remove Rep Mode, we can grant these permissions. It makes their experience less concerned with having to register and being able to enjoy parts of the server that they can access

I believe /loadout load can also be granted. That way, they can fully enjoy PvP out of the box. They don’t need to learn what each modified weapon does and which one is better. They can look at the equipment a more experienced player uses and why they use them

I also think we can give them more freedom over the choice of becoming a member

Side note for anyone reading this: Survival had always been member-only. I believe this is on purpose because of how TShock works. TShock’s SSC system can’t track guests like they can with Members/Accounts. Thus, if guests were allowed, their inventory would only be temporary or might get swapped with someone else’s

4 Likes

I’d say the angle of your view is at odds with the values of the server (which means me), and the reasons for why guest shouldn’t have more power than the basic feature set.

Well the loadout chests do that job already, you don’t need to be logged-in to use those. It’s better for guests anyway because they likely have no idea what they are doing. Once they’ve learnt enough they likely can register already anyway.

The rep mode problem isn’t a reason to give guests power. The system is designed to separate two groups of people, those that we know and those that we don’t. Fundamentally, this issue is something beyond guests but unless you have a better design that addresses the issues this attempts to solve, then this system is what we have.

The IP issue can likely be resolved by adding another factor: UUID. So I’m going to ignore the issue of registration which is down purely to their ip changing all the time, and just keep to what rep mode is: the time required to form an identity (via an account).

I don’t believe that. Survival is usually why people try to register, or at least what people are asking in chat. If anything, I don’t think people care that they cannot use /i in places like PvE other than the minor annoyance to switch, which is fast anyway. I’ve seen people go back and forwards without issue, these people know how to get items without it.

They have absolute freedom over that decision, there’s nothing that forces them to become a member, a lot of the server is already accessible to guests. What you’re talking about is giving them less reasons to become member, just swaying their decision about whether it’s worth making an account.

Well, why have a system at all? Let’s just let them do everything possible without giving them permissions that they could abuse. Let’s frame this as the game itself. What drives people to keep going is the sense of reward. A tiered system, such as Guest, Member, etc has the same underlying system, invest time and get more permissions, a reward. That’s not only a benefit to the player, it benefits the server to. Because forming an identity is even more important to the server itself, and it gets people more involved with the community.

Therefore, If we increase the value of the guest role, we push players to adopt guest as their default. They might not even know what they could get, if anything, by registering. In-fact if they hit 0 boundaries that require being registered, they might even not notice that it’s a thing. This reduces the reason to hold an identity on the server and breaks down any system of reward we have for players who spend more time with us. The net effect is that we likely have people less invested in the server and less potential to improve the system built upon those identities itself because less people will use it. It may even be worse off for them because they assume guest is good enough, and then leave eventually since the short-term effects wear off, whereas if the system was different, they may have spent more time because there was more reasons to. After all, what’s the point in registering if I have everything I need, or at least, that’s what I might think in that position.

Overall I see this as a negative change. You’re giving people a better short-term experience for the cost of the long-term, which after all, the benefit for the server is not in the short-term players but in those that are here for the long-haul, those are the people that may eventually join the staff team or make a significant contribution. If getting access to /i in more places for becoming a member is enough to push someone towards registration, that I see as a good thing, and these people most likely know /items is there already, so the people can still access any item in the game (and people even argue against such a thing in the first place, or they used to at least). It’s not even functionality that makes them believe the server is missing features, it’s functionality that improves upon what they have access to already, which itself is perfectly usable (I’ve seen many people switch to get items perfectly fine, as I mentioned before).

In summary, the guest role is limited and serves as a demo of the server. It gives people enough freedom to look around and see what exists and whether they think this would be a good place to stay. For some, it’s already good enough. They come get items and leave, or maybe they go into pvp and fight other players for bit, or just play Zombies. They already have a lot they can do, and some people even play as a guest while coming back, for multiple days. I don’t think that’s a good thing, but compared to what you’re saying, these people don’t seem to be discouraged by the lack of one command, which is not even essential in the first place considering they have an alternative that works just as well. Moreover, the choice of registering is the choice to invest some time into the server and forming an identity in it. In return, you get to take part in a system that hopefully rewards you for your time and one day I hope that person may consider giving something back to the server. It is free, after all.

Well, you could have guests if you used just UUID as an identifier alone (ignoring people who use the same pc). Rep mode was actually enabled in the first place due to the problems with Survival. If you allow guests there, you may as well just shut that place down right now.

3 Likes

Yeah, adding another factor like UUID would fix a lot of the people being unable to register because of their Dynamic IP. And I’ll admit that is one of the factors pushing for this suggestion

3 Likes